the unthinkable....college!?!

by 2pink 25 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I'm nearly 40 and I just started working on my Master's degree. It took me 8 years (from 22 to 30) to complete my Bachelor's degree. But it was worth it and even my dub wife benefits.

She's in college too working on her Bachelor's. She hates going to college, though, and wishes she could work on her 'spiritual goals' more. I'm also trying to convince her that it would be a good idea to start a college fund for our daughter.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I'm about to do my Masters too :) I have my Bachelors, but need to stimulate my brain...lol. It will take 2yrs but will be worth it :) I'll be on campus as a full time student. My children are under school age, and like you will only have time to study at home once they're in bed. That's why being on campus during the day is invaluable. You will have access to lecturers and the library, without interruptions at home. Go for it!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I had the option of getting my MS degree in one year doing modulars, which are only 2 weekends out of the month for each class. I chose some of those and also block classes, which are excellerated and finished in only 7 weeks (1/2 a semester). So, I'll have gone for only 1 1/2 years since I took the summer off.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

2pink, hey, I'm going back to college, too! Wait, are you stealing my idea? Anyway...

"we haven't a lot of money"

Then you are extra qualified for grants and low interest loans.

"so our plan is going to take a good 10 years to complete, and not be easy."

Well guess what little lady? The next 10 years is coming whether you and your husband complete your degrees or not. So grow up! {slap} It's time for you to put on your big girl panties, put down your Bible Stories book, and grab life by the balls! Is it gonna be easy? No! {slap} But anything worth having is worth working for! {slap} Yes, it's gonna take time, it's gonna be hard work, and there will be lots of days that you and hubby will look at each other with a "what the hell are we doing, I think I wanna quit" kind of look. Get over it! {slap} Because 10 years is coming, and all of us here on JWD are counting on you to support us financially. So get that great job and start sending me weekly checks for my great motivational speeches! {slap}

• 2pink
    2pink

thanks for the replies and support....i think that is all i need at this point. i just need the motivation to get started.

hey billy, can i pay you to deliver that speech (complete with the stinging cheeks) to my husband?! he is being such a downer right now! thanks!

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Yes, I think you're being realistic. But as working parents, expect it to take longer. You need to balance family, work, and school demands on your time, especially with both of you wanting an education and another baby on the way (congratulations!). As a practical matter, you and your wife need to coordinate your class schedules around caring for the children. Unless there's a source for free or inexpensive child care, somebody needs to stay home with them.

With a growing family money is always tight. Think seriously about going to a local JC for starters. Talk to a counselor, and focus on classes where the credits are transferrable to a four-year program. IMO, JC is the place to take whatever refresher classes you may need to get ready for college studies after being out of high school for more than a decade, and also the "core classes" toward your four-year degree. There's no point paying the four-year college tuition rates while you do that, esepcially when there's a family to care for. Also, JCs usually are very working-parent-friendly, with more evening and online classes available, and part time enrollment being the norm.

Best of luck to both of you and your family!

GLT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit