the unthinkable....college!?!

by 2pink 25 Replies latest jw friends

• 2pink
    2pink

i'm 30-something, newly out of the org. my spouse is also on the way out.

both of us were raised in "the truth"....aka no college education. we have 2 small children, soon to be 3. we both want to go back to school. are we being realisitic?

has anyone else faced this situation? we both need/want to go back to finish degrees and get an education that will allow us to earn enough to fund our kids' college educations and then live comfortably. we aren't out to get rich.

but the whole prospect seems unrealistic....we haven't a lot of money. we were good dubs and only took on menial jobs so we could pioneer. our family members are hardcore dubs, so no chance of college tuition help coming from them. we have 3 kids to support.

i'm just wondering if anyone else has successfully lived thru this situation. our plan is for me to complete a degree while i am a stay at home mom (online...yeah, i know that is super lame) while hubby keeps working. then after i am hired on in a good paying position, he can cut back hours to finish his degree. so our plan is going to take a good 10 years to complete, and not be easy.

does anyone have any good tips/advice/etc for us? we are newly leaving the org and are starting everything fresh. we are totally all on our own as all family members/friends are still in, so we appreciate very much any support and help we can get.

thanks so much for reading!!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Have you completed a FAFSA yet? If not, that's the first step in determining if you're eligible for financial aid in the form of grants and loans. Education on line isn't lame at all. I went back to school at the age of 31. About a year in, my two stepchildren appeared at the door with no warning. They were 9 and 13, which you think would've been easier than young children, but they came from a troubled background. It was a lot of hard work, but with careful planning, it can be done. You may also want to check with our county to see if you're eligible for daycare assistance, because if you schedule your classes far enough apart, you can attend classes and have time for assignments, reading, studying and writing.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

You might even qualify for financial assistance from your state. I would go to your local unemployment office to see. Also, explain your situation to your advisor. I know a couple of people on the board have mentioned that their advisors were very helpful when they heard about the discouragement for going to college. They can also keep you notified about grants and scholarships.

Many colleges have day cares on campus. You can look into that for any classes that you have to be at the school for.

Both my husband and I are going to school right now. Our situation sounds a bit easier than yours, since we don't have kids. It will be a challenge, but keep reminding yourself that it will all be worth it when you're done!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Good for you guys for wanting to go back and get degrees! Now, it sounds like you haven't looked into the online thing at your local college because the courses online will REALLY kick your butt! They demand a really dedicated and mature student to successfully complete them. I'm doing most of my master's degree online and it is more involved and more work and requires more discipline than the ones in a classroom. They are perfect for stay at home moms, though. I'm doing it!

• John Doe
    John Doe

10 years is a lot of time to complete the degree. I concur with what white dove says regarding online courses. Since the teacher does not interact with students in person, there is more homework and more assignments to insure the student is progressing. I would suggest taking a few on campus courses and getting them to match with your husband's schedule so that he may watch the kids while you're in class. Most people learn better with personal interaction, you'll have less overall work to do, and it's easier to keep up with work when you're attending class in person.

In other words, choose for yourself, but don't overlook on campus classes. Talk to the advisor at the college--they will have some good suggestions and point you to possible programs/benefits for you. Talk with the financial aid office--it's in their best interest to get you funding because the school makes money when you attend school.

• yknot
    yknot

Check with your local community colleges for online courses to cover your basics. Some colleges allow you to complete at your own pace as short as 4-8 weeks! At my college doing 2 eight-week courses qualifies me as a full time student versus the 9-12 for those who attend in person.

Don't forget about Clep too....

Here is another 'tip'...... check and see if your campus library has any last semester books to loan out or current editions to loan for a short period of time in which you can scan the pages into pdf from a study room. For the record I haven't bought a textbook in 3 years!

Depending on your degree your local college may have a free book loan program too.

Let the college counselors guide you......

To earn extra money......sad, lame but true..... ebay...... I stock up on clearance items from local stores and resell on ebay...... if it doesn't sell before the return merchandise date I take it back to the store.......so I never lose money. I also stock up on clearance holiday items and resell them later too .......for instance before Halloween I resold a bunch of Halloween onsies, hats and booties, and baby costumes I picked up from Walmart for 90% off last year and sold them for 50-60% off the original price tag...... again lame but you do what you gotta do. For Xmas I will stock up on the bath kits and resell during Valentines wrapping them with a pink or red bow.

• yknot
    yknot

Not true always about online and homework!

My history courses only required two examinations, weekly thread commentary, and one essay.

When I was taking my refresher microbiology I only had to answer an assigned question each third of the course, weekly commentary and three examinations.

In my pharamcology refresher I had three discussion questions, an online lab each week and three exams.

All in all they were WAY easier and quicker than my face to face courses......

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, if you are too busy to attend in person, there are online degree programs. Financial aid is for those who want to better themselves with a college education and cannot afford it--possibly include a truthful explanation that, as one of Jehovah's Witlesses, you were not able to get a college degree immediately after high school because the religion so strongly discouraged it (include a transcript of the hardline stand they take against it now, if possible).

The explanation might not be to your benefit (though it will explain why it took so long to get a college degree after high school or why you cannot afford it). However, it might prevent the witlesses from gaining access to the college if the administrations realize that the witlesses are going to encourage students to drop out with such high pressure methods and guilt. That will be of benefit to spare someone else from going through this.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Definitely look into scholarships and fee help. Alot of Universities have grants and financial assistance, especially to ones in need. I think given your age, and situation and having been discouraged all these years, the University would look upon you favourably and may go to extra lengths to assist you.

I have a degree, but wanted to do more study when my children were little. I applied for an online course, through a reputable university but once I saw the course load, couldn't commit. It was so much more than if I had gone to the lectures in person. So be wary of the load you take on. If I were you, given you have small children, I would take a part time course - but in person. Even if the degree takes 4yrs to complete because you do it part time, at least it's at a pace you can handle and you reap the benefits of talking to and seeing lecturers in person. You will also network, making new friends on campus.

• 2pink
    2pink

thanks for all the tips and advice!

i would personally much prefer going to regular classes on campus. i honestly just have no clue how i would make it work time-wise. with work and the kids (my kids are really young), the only time i have is at night after they are in bed.

do employers view online degrees as lesser than ones earned at a university on site? i just keep wondering if, after i go thru all the effort of getting the degree, i will have a harder time getting hired than someone who went to classes in person...? any thoughts on this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit