Review: Installed my free Windows 7 upgrade on my laptop

by Elsewhere 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have a 2.5 ghtz chip and 2 gb ram. I use w2k. I'm not sure if w2k sees all of the ram. If i upped the ram to say, 5gb, and installed win7, would it be faster than it is now? Or, even feasible?

S

• Simon
    Simon

To see and use 5gb you would need to use a 64 bit version of Windows.

Typically you'd have 4, 6 or 8 Gb ... 5 Gb is a bit of a strange number to have

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Windows 7 is definitely a winner.

No classic menus :(

You mean the Start Menu? I recommend you try to get used to the new menu. Clicking the button and being able to type in the search field is awesome. You can type in a partial program name and it will show you a list of matches you can quickly click on. This works with control panel applets and other stuff like emails and documents. The search is performed instantly. Once I got used to that I stopped using the "old" start menu and am addicted to the new one. I never manually search the Start Menu program list any more.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    No classic menus :(

How classic would you like those menus to be?

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

The start menu on windows was always it's worst point.

The concept of a dock and launching programs from spotlight made OS X much better.

Now windows has a taskbar that acts just like the OSX dock (maybe better with aero peek) and the start menu is just as good as spotlight, in fact I would say even better as the start menu provides a nicer way to find programs if you don't want to type than going to finder and launching the apps folder.

Windows 7 arguably has the better menu system too with large and multiple monitors, OS X's fixed menu is terrible for more than one monitor or any screen over say 26". OS X is still much better on a single screen system though with the fixed menu and spaces/expose.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I like OS X a lot, but I think the "Finder" is pretty wimpy compared to Windows Explorer.

W

• leavingwt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit