Review: Installed my free Windows 7 upgrade on my laptop

by Elsewhere 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

First, I'll answer the question that most everyone seems to be asking:

Q: Should I upgrade to Windows 7

A: If your XP or Vista is working for you, don't waste your time or money upgrading. (If it ain't broke don't fix it) If you plan on buying a new computer, certainly try Windows 7.

Q: Why did *I* upgrade to Windows 7?

A: Because my computer came with a free upgrade. (can't beat free... might as well try it)

My first impression is that I like it. There are some differences in how things are done but as I'm figuring out the new ways, I must admit that most of them are better than the old ways. Also, my laptop is noticeably faster! When I click something, something happens NOW as opposed to 10 seconds later like with Vista. I did some video tests and found my processor utilization is much lower, even when watching an HD movie in full screen mode. This is going to help all of those users who like netbooks. (like me)

One major difference I've noticed is that the User Account Control is far better than in Vista. No longer does my computer pop that annoying window every time I go to do any sort of administrative activity. It only pops-up when I'm about to do something that will have a MAJOR affect on the system. For those of you who don't like User Account Control at all... you have the option of "throttling" it up and down. You can set it to be totally paranoid or you can throttle it down so it hardly does anything. You can also turn it completely off if you want.

The upgrade did take some time, but that has to be expected when you give your computer a brain transplant.

I must admit that I intentionally did a few things to really challenge the upgrade process. For one thing, I left my system partition encrypted with TrueCrypt (a free, open source hard drive encryption system that will totally encrypt your entire hard drive... you cannot even turn on your computer without a password). I did a backup expecting the upgrade to totally screw up my system because of the encryption, but it didn't!

When the upgrade rebooted my system I got the dreaded "Missing Operating System" message. (this basically means you are SCREWED) I calmly inserted my TrueCrypt rescue disk which setup the critical encryption boot loader and my system booted just fine... however it booted to my old Vista instead of the new Windows 7. Again, I was quite impressed at how the upgrade was sophisticated enough to prevent a totally system meltdown. I used the TrueCrypt tool to decrypt my system and then rebooted again. This time the Windows 7 Upgrade process finished without incident.

Once the Windows 7 upgrade was finished I used TrueCrypt to re-encrypt my system.

Very cool.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've been using Win7 for about two weeks now and I must say I'm very impressed!

It is stable, fast, easy to use and I really like the new task bar.

If you are on the fence about upgrading to Win7... go ahead and do it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I've been very pleased with Windows 7. I'm running it on four computers. One was an upgrade installation, the other three were 'clean' installs.

If you have any questions about upgrading, this article covers most of them.

Everything You Want to Know About Upgrading to Windows 7

http://www.davescomputertips.com/newsletters/2009/091115.php#article1

• peacedog
    peacedog

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was running Vista Ultimate 64 bit on a bootcamp partition on my Mac Pro. My Mac OS is OSX 10.5.8. Haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet. To prepare to upgrade to Windows 7 I first had to download and install SP2 for Vista 64 bit. It wasn't available on windows update at the time. Then I had to update bootcamp from within Vista, first from 2.0 to 2.1, and then to 2.2. (you need SP2 for Vista in order to update bootcamp to 2.2.)

The Windows 7 upgrade was smooth but took a long time. No problems. Had to re-activate my Adobe software. Everything is running fine. Haven't tried my corporate VPN yet. I'm told it doesn't support Windows 7 yet, but I'll find out later today.

W

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I was a beta tester this summer and the improvement over Vista is noticeable for just about every user.

I now use it as my main operating system on my computer with VISTA and XP as secondaries.

Recently installed a SSD drive from OCZ put Windows 7 on it and it is the fastest OS that I ever had.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Elsewhere...did you do an upgrade over the top of Vista or a fresh install on a formatted drive? I have heard that a straight upgrade can be problematic. Anyone else have thoughts on this? Thanks...

TYA

• dissed
    dissed

Thanks for sharing.

I just got a new PC for the business and decided to send for my free 7. Have decided not to load anything or use it until 7 is loaded.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Elsewhere...did you do an upgrade over the top of Vista or a fresh install on a formatted drive?

I did an upgrade and have not had any problems except for my TrueCrypt drive encryption. TrueCrypt v6.3 supports Win7, but I think there are still a few bugs to be worked out.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

No classic menus :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit