Where does the money go?

by JWinprotest 10 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

The other day my wife asked me this question when I was trying to tell her that the society's motive behind most decisions is money. She too thinks the society is misguiding people but she doesn't think it's being done for financial gain like I do.

Can anyone out there confirm whether members of the GB or some of the higher profile Bethelites are personally benefitting from all the money that is being gathered in by the Organization. And I don't mean stuff like, they have all their needs taken care of, I mean luxuries that most JW's would not receive.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Well, I've heard that their lifestyle is pretty good especially when they travel. 1st Class airline seats and hotels and the best restaurants etc. Of course that is a hard thing to prove as some say that a brother paid for all the expenses etc. or they used their own money. I'm sure not all 'big shots' at Bethel live the high life but some have and do presently. Some ex-JW's who have visited the rooms of the 'higher up's' while they were still JW's said that the best booze (Scotch etc.) was always served at their little parties.

As for most of the money, it keeps the machine going.

Outaservice (My personal opinion)

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

Outaservice, I'm inclined towards the same opinion. I don't think they can get away with what Rutherford did with the mansions and the Cadillacs, but I'm sure these guys enjoy the finer things in life when they are out of plain site. And for people who haven't worked a day in their life, I'd say they are definately benefitting.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It's all speculation. I am sure Ray Franz would have discussed such a lavish lifestyle if it was something he enjoyed. It is question I would to have answered too.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, Ray Franz did specifically mention that GB members can vacation in places the average JW could only dream of. That's about the only direct reference about it that I know of. That, and his mention of the adjustment to offering the WT and A! free of charge being for the sake of avoiding taxation due to the Jimmy Swaggart case. (The sale of religious literature could be taxed, thus we switch to offering it for free and thus avoid taxation--but the real reason told to the R&F is that this is just a loving gesture, blah, blah, not peddlers of the word despite being such for decades, etc. etc.)

I've been curious about the financial stuff myself. Someone knows. Maybe someday we'll find out.

SD-7

• JWoods
    JWoods

I personally think that the real financial gain (for the JW elite) is and always has been not so much to the Governing Body. I think it goes more to the rich JW business people who take advantage of a huge compliant worker and sales base, and now almost certainly to some in the JW legal department.

Only old Rutherford really flashed it around, however, and flash it around he certainly did.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Well, a good chunk of it went to pay off pedophile lawsuits, and there are proably more to come. That to me is way more repugnant than some Bethel assholes living in the lap of luxury.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Well, a good chunk of it went to pay off pedophile lawsuits, and there are proably more to come. That to me is way more repugnant than some Bethel assholes living in the lap of luxury.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

• WT=watchtrouble
    WT=watchtrouble

interested to see if any ex bethel can add to this

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit