Kelle Jarka (jw elder) found guilty and sentenced Friday for murdering jw wife

by blondie 25 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if he will be df'd....probably not.

http://www.swrnn.com/southwest-riverside/2009-11-04/news/jarka-case-murrieta-man-expected-to-be-sentenced-friday-for-murder-of-wife

Jarka case: Murrieta man expected to be sentenced Friday for murder of wife

Posted By jose.arballo On November 4, 2009 @ 2:22 pm In Courts, Crime, Local News, News | 1 Comment

Kelle Lee Jarka

A Murrieta man convicted of murdering his longtime wife and making the killing look like it was done by an intruder is scheduled to be sentenced Friday and faces a lifetime in prison with no chance of parole.

Kelle Lee Jarka, 41 at the time of his trial, was convicted by a jury that deliberated about two hours in September before deciding he murdered his wife, Isabelle, at the family’s home and that the killing was for financial gain.

Prosecutors successfully argued Jarka, who was having financial problems, wanted to collect $1.3 million in life insurance on a policy he had taken out on his wife of nearly 20 years.

During the trial, prosecutor Burke Strunsky described Jarka as a man so enamored with his upper-middle-class lifestyle and position within his congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, that he was willing to sacrifice the life of his loving wife to maintain it.

Jarka was teetering on financial ruin and social disgrace at the time of Isabelle’s death, the prosecutor said. His Tamarisk Street home was being foreclosed on, bills were piling up, Isabelle was talking about divorcing him and she’d told another church elder that Jarka had erred by keeping secret about a friend dying of AIDS.

Defense attorney Erin Kirkpatrick told jurors Kelle Jarka was a peaceful man and a loving husband who did not kill his wife. Kirkpatrick said the Jarka’s finances were unstable, but their fiscal picture was not dire. Jarka had just taken his wife to see a home under construction in the hills of DeLuz and announced he wanted to buy it for their family.

Despite the best efforts of Murrieta police, she said, there was no physical evidence linking her client to Isabelle’s brutal death.

Isabelle Jarka suffered almost a dozen blows to her head with a blunt object resulting in a fracture to her skull and injuries to her brain, Dr. Joseph Cohen testified. The doctor could not establish a time of death nor could he say with certainty what object delivered the fatal blows.

Given the verdict, the judge will have little leeway when sentencing Jarka, unless the defense can convince the court to toss out the jury’s decision or determine there are extenuating circumstances that would allow for a modification of the term. The hearing will allow the victim’s family and Jarka to address the court.

Since the verdict, a Web site supporting Jarka has been soliciting donations and trying to show that he was wrongly convicted. The site, which indicates is “dedicated to the Kelle Jarka and his defense against the false charges against him,” claims that police and prosecutors convicted the wrong man. It also accuses Murrieta police officers of lying during the trial and that investigators overlooked evidence because they had made of their minds that Kelle had committed the crimes.

The sentencing is scheduled to take place at the Southwest Justice Center near Murrieta.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Interesting question - further, has anybody ever been df'd for MURDER?

I would guess that if they had a committee meeting on this, they would fail to act because of the two witnesses rule.

Even more interesting, that website soliciting contributions for him - is that family, the ACLU-like do-gooders, or the witnesses themselves?

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's my understanding there are some from the congo that are supporting him and were attending the trial on his behalf.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Can someone correct my memory - wasn't this also the guy who was thought to be having an affair with a woman who might/might not have had AIDS?

• purplesofa
  • undercover
    undercover

He denied it and there weren't two witnesses, so your guess is probably correct.

Having seen people wrongfully convicted for crimes they didn't committ based on circumstantial evidence, I'll reserve judgement on this guy. It sure looks like he did it from what little I've read, but he could be the victim of some very bad circumstances.

OTOH, I've known brothers who were living high on the hog stoop pretty low to cover their financial asses, so the fact that he was an elder or a "christian" doesn't mean he's not capable of committing such a crime.

Another thought I had while reading this...

...prosecutor Burke Strunsky described Jarka as a man so enamored with his upper-middle-class lifestyle and position within his congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, that he was willing to sacrifice the life of his loving wife to maintain it.
    Jarka was teetering on financial ruin and social disgrace at the time of Isabelle’s death...

How many JWs so believed in the imminent end of this system of things, that they lived well beyond their means never expecting to have to deal with the financial crisis that was bound to happen? While it's a far, far reach to implicate the Society in this kind of crime, their teachings can lead people to think irrationally about the future thus causing them to make bad decisions. In an extreme case, it could end up like this. Having to kill for insurance money to get out of the jam that Armageddon didn't clear up for you.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I went back and reread the original thread. Pretty sickening stuff, there.

What pretty well toasted it for me were the million dollar life insurance policy weeks before her death, the financial mess, the four-hour elders visit to the wife the night she died, the computer searches for "killing someone via cyanide or plastic bags" and "sex with people who have HIV" and "how long to remarry after your wife dies".

This guy seems worse than that Garidos character who kidnapped and raped the girl for 18 years.

• undercover
    undercover
    What pretty well toasted it for me were the million dollar life insurance policy weeks before her death, the financial mess, the four-hour elders visit to the wife the night she died, the computer searches for "killing someone via cyanide or plastic bags" and "sex with people who have HIV" and "how long to remarry after your wife dies".

Yea, those things are pretty indicative that he did it, yet it's still circumstantial. I've looked up some pretty weird shit on the Internet. I've been places I shouldn't have been. I hope that no one takes that as proof of something if my wife should have an accident or worse.

Personally, I think he did it. But I wasn't at the trial, didn't hear it all, so I don't know.

I used to read these type articles and go on about how hanging wasn't good enough for these guys. But then I knew of a case personally where a guy was convicted and did time for many years. I thought he was guilty all along. I hated his guts. But then along came DNA technology which cleared him from the crime. Another guy was implicated and he confessed. The guy I hated was released from prison and paid restitution. I really believed the wrong man did it from everything that was presented but I, along with a lot of other people, were wrong.

I try very hard now to never allow myself to be convinced soley by circumstantial evidence, especially as it's presented in the media.

The fact that he was a JW is just an interesting point for those of us who have connections to JWism and really shouldn't play a part in how he should be treated, tried or punished. What I find interesting is that other JWs are so readily defending him. I believe if I knew him I'd just lay low and let it play out since I have no clue as to what really happened.

I know that dubs want to believe in the goodness of other dubs, but I've seen JWs do some pretty shitty things. I know better than to accept anyone, JW or not, at face value on something so serious and heinous.

• JWoods
    JWoods

One other thing I forgot to mention, Undercover, was that apparantly this guy wanted to be an elder so bad that he got involved in the Spanish congregation because the English local would not make him an elder. So, the spanish congregation may be viewing him as a special favorite because he "volunteered to help them out".

It is a shame that they could not lock down the forensics better than this was reported (i.e. - never found the murder weapon, etc.). However, you do have to wonder how he managed to sleep through such a murder, if he were not the guy. Also, the kids reporting that they were arguing/fighting in days prior.

Your point is taken that this is circumstancial and that we should not convict him just because he is a kind of creepy JW example. On the other hand, if a jury could not convict on circumstantials, I guess Scott Peterson would have walked.

• Stealth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit