How JW's Label each other (size the other up)

by xelder 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• xelder
    xelder

My experience has been that among JW's, its very important that they understand each others spiritual status. This is accomplished within the first 5 min of meeting a new person. This is necessary so that they know what kind of person you are. Have you ever noticed when JW's meet a new person, they use a series of comments and questions to establish their own righteousness as well as inquire of the worthiness of the new acquaintance.

How long have you been in the truth? (this establishes a basis for the context for the rest of the discussion. How much you should know by now, if indeed you are worthy of my association)

Oh, my son is in bethel and my daughter is a pioneer ( code for what an awesome spiritual family we are - you should be impressed)

My dad was good friends with Brother Schroeder (etc) - (code for we are among the elite and will drop names to prove it)

I have 2 talks next week before I can get to working on my assembly talk

How big is your congregation - how many elders and pioneers (code - who cares about the widows and orphans)

I enjoyed the latest WT article on __________ (fill in the blank). Did you notice the point in this weeks number 3 talk. (Code for I study and prep for all meetings - just making sure you know how awesome I am - my cong is most fortunate to have me)

If you miss a few meetings, you need to clarify this so that you are still viewed ok. We missed you (code are you getting weak?) Oh you were sick? sorry to hear (code-well if it really was that I will still talk to you) Or - "We were on vacation" "Oh.......(pause)...again? - well gad your back to what's important.

Anyway - with a proper label on the other person, we now know how faithful they are.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Within a minute or two of meeting you, the male JW will determine if the other male JW holds any "privileges" within the congregation.

From there, the following applies, even if it's unfair.

"Are you a ministerial servant?"

No = Something is not "right" with this brother. He's spiritually weak.

Yes = He's been vetted.

"Are you an elder?"

No, older than 40, not an elder = Something is not "right" with this borther. He is somehow "limited".

Yes, elder of any age = Full-fledged member. Free to discuss Judicial matters.

Yes, elder, gives circuit/district talks = Upper eschalan of WT politics. Company man. Political points can be scored by befriending this person.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Also, always mention what international conventions you have attended for this denotes

• I have super spirtuality
    • I have money

More reasons for you to do some brown nosing

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Magwitch,

Very true. Good points.

-LWT

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

It's called the JW Verbal Resume.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Some don't even pretend to be subtle about it. One elder told me straight out that he had no use for any brother who has been a JW for 6 years and isn't at least a MS.

He knew he was safe because I had only been a JW for 2 years when that conversation took place.

W

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Good thread.

In my experience, an impromptu vetting goes something like this:

Brother Elder: "So, which congregation you go to?"

Brother Unknown: "Molester's Haven."

Brother Elder: "Oh nice, do you know Brother Feely?"

Brother Unknown: "Yeah! Isn't he a great brother?"

Brother Elder: "He sure is. We go way back.... So, how long you been in the Truth?"

Brother Unknown: "Oh, I was raised in."

Brother Elder: "I see..."

Brother Unknown: "Went to Bethel back in the 90s; pioneered for a while...."

At this point, Brother Elder is still on gaurd. From his persepctive, Brother Unknown obviously has a history, but his current congregational standing could be anything.

Brother Elder: "Boy, that was quite a Watchtower article we had last week, wasn't it?"

Brother Unknown: "Sure was... very good counsel."

Brother Elder, warming just a bit, continues: "The way these kids go around with their Facebook and MySpace accounts... they're playing with fire, you know... they need to understand the dangers involved."

Brother Unknown: "Yep."

Brother Elder, still not completely off-gaurd, cuts right to the chase and says: "So... you still pioneering?"

Brother Unknown: "No, I quit a few years back. I'm working full time now, had a kid... you know how it goes."

Brother Elder: "Mm. This system of things definitely tries to keep you busy, doesn't it?"

The conversation has slightly shifted. Brother Elder used the word "you" in his last comment, turning the topic in a more personal direction toward Brother Unknown. This is done as a means to re-assert the hierarchical Elder-Publisher relationship.

Brother Unknown: "It sure does. Hey Brother Elder, it was nice talking with you, I think my wife's calling me over to our seats. See you around!"

Brother Elder is at a bit of a loss. His attempts at classifying this new brother weren't very successfull. Brother Unknown doesn't arouse any undue suspicion, but he feels that there may be more to this person than meets the eye. He will keep an eye on him, and might nonchalantly drop his name to other elders in hopes of getting more information.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

Isn't it SAD that all those 'qualifications' mean absolutely, positively, NOTHING in the 'real' world?!!!!

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I was conversing with a friend who lives in Son Cal is now trying to make an attempt to go back to to meetings ( I feel because of the financial and job issues in her area, she feels tghe end is truly near ) that these are the VERY reasons I've had a hard time going back

The whole dog and pony show....jumping through hoops......screw all that. Be my friend because you like me for who I am.

My friend......GREAT guy,big heart....but falls in the area od LOTS of money, and at my last count has been to at least 4 international conventions in the last 2 years I think. He just made MS......and has let me know we are going in different directions and that'd he'd like to keep doing stuff with me.

I took it as code for : I'm am now too good to hang out with you, as you're spiritually unexceptable for us.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s..

Sizeing each other Up..

.................. ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit