How do you reply...

by Albert Einstein 20 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

agreed 100% Nico, take the blame for being haughty if needed but stay on topic!

• dissed
    dissed

Wow, now the JW's have the power to look into peoples hearts and determine if they are a 'truth seeker' and worthy of everlasting life or a horrible death at Armageddon.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Too bad Moses isn't around to settle this.

He was the humblest man on earth. Said so himself!

(Insert OUTLAW'S Mutley here.)

Numbers 12:3 New International Version

(Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.)
  • Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Stay calm, polite and focused - even apologise if necessary! Then, bring the conversation back to the issues you had been discussing

Nicolaou - good point...!

the issue is not humility...how does that change the truth of a matter?

Isaac - very true...

Albert

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

So you're not humble. Big deal. Humility is greatly overrated. Why on earth should you humble yourself before arrogance or stupidity?

Never feel like you must apologize for your knowledge or skills, or worse, someone else's lack of them.

W

• TD
    TD

"You're not humble" is a good example of a logical fallacy called, argumentum ad hominem (Argument to the person)

This is a fallacious argument which links the validity of the premise to a particular characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

The plain truth is your humility (Or lack thereof) has absolutely nothing to do with whether your contention is correct or not.

You could say:

"Look, we're both adults. We can discuss this without attacking each other personally. I certainly don't think less of you for disagreeing with me and I would trust that you would accord me the same respect."

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This one is a classic even within the congregation. When your elders make some decision that is completely irrational and idiotic and you bring it to their attention, the conversation immediately shifts to your lack of humility and the actual problem is ignored.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What TD said.

"My humbleness is not what we're talking about. We're talking about this scripture."

If you were "humble", you'd be mindlessly following the flock off the cliff.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Humility is only an asset when it is tied to facts and truth.

Humility by itself is not the end all, be all virtue of the world. Besides this, humility is a JW code word for "beaten down; low self esteem; not allowed to think or question"

TD had a great retort, and I would only add to it this counter argument "Couldn't I say the same about you, that you lack humility, for disagreeing with me? Why don't we just stick to the facts, and let god and others judge our humility. Really, it isn't up to either of us on an internet board to make those kind of judgments."

Again, debates get sidetracked when it gets personal. Don't let them hijack. Besides, most readers who watch debates where active JW's are concerned knows who "won" and who got their @$$ handed to them....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You are not Humble".....What a stupid response!

Is accepting Bullshit,an act of being Humble?..

Your dealing with an Idiot!..

Why even bother wasting your time ,in conversation with someone like that?

..................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit