How do you reply...

by Albert Einstein 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

... when you have a fine and fair discussion with a JW over some spiritual "JW controversy",

he brings his facts, you bring your facts,

your facts are beating his facts,

you make a final statement or raise a final question...

and he says:

"YOU ARE NOT HUMBLE!!!"

Its happening to me often lately, dont know how to handle this...

Confused Albert

• hotspur
    hotspur

It takes an arrogant and a person of poor demeanour to accuse another of "Lacking Humility".

What are their qualifications for making a judgement of that nature?

Stirkes me they have the problem with humility!

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Stirkes me they have the problem with humility

Hotspur, you are right, but you cannot tell them... It would be like:

A: You are not humble!

B: No, Iam humble, but you are not humble!!!

A: NOOO!!! IIII aaaaammmmm HUMBLE! You are not humble!!!!

B: I am more humble, than you are!!!!(hitting A with a stick)

A: You damned bastard, Iam the most humble person in the world!!!! And thats what I like about myself the most !!!!!(hitting B wth a hammer)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You are not humble because you won't let him convince you he has The Truth.

If you are going to argue with them, you have to expect this type of behaviour. They are taught that you are not humble.

It doesn't apply to them. They don't need to be humble. They have The Truth, you don't.

Try only using questions, rather than telling them stuff. The object of the game is to keep them on subject until they have to admit to you that they don't have a sensible answer. I have never got one to that point. They always bugger off, never come back with an answer, and don't recall my asking that question when I prompt them.

Cheers

Chris

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Try only using questions, rather than telling them stuff.

Chris you are right, thats the way... I just need to be more humble to manage that ...

Albert

• bohm
    bohm

hm. I *think* that sound like a thought-terminating cliches; which mean he is under mind control and whatever you say will only make it worse. (correct me if i am wrong).

I think the best approach is to wait a day, and then tell him 'Look, the other day when we talked, you said i was not being humble. I have thought a lot about it, and i would like to talk about about what being humble mean so we wont end up in that situation'.

Then make him agree that being humble mean you must be able to get critisism, that you must not submit to dogma, that you must react on the message, not the messenger, that you can be wrong. Tell him you feel now you were not being humble when you were in the truth, because you was not really examining the bible in a humble spirit, ie. accepting you might be wrong and might need to be corrected....

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Ask them outright WHY do they say that? Why are they judging you? Did not christ stand up with his facts??

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Of course that is simply a red herring...the issue is not humility...how does that change the truth of a matter? My dad once had a debate on the Deity of Jesus and lost...but came back with that same defense.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w02 11/1 p. 6 Apologizing—A Key to Making Peace ***Peace among fellow believers is more important than proving who is right and who is wrong.

Perhaps he is thinking of this "gem"?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Don't be drawn into his diversionary tactic. Stay calm, polite and focused - even apologise if necessary! Then, bring the conversation back to the issues you had been discussing. Don't let him off the hook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit