A sad call from an older brother

by life is to short 38 Replies latest jw friends

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Who do you approach in order to accomplish what you just stated? The man or the W.T.S.?

In this case, probably the WTS first-i.e. the congregation's Body of Elders, who should then counsel the elderly gentleman. But I think this case is too far along for any meaningful change. You're not going to reverse decades of indoctrination quickly nor easily, especially when the same language continues to appear in every Watchtower magazine and is preached at every assembly. The feelings of guilt are too deeply ingrained, and it takes years to heal that. Years that this gentleman probably cannot wait for.

GOD would tell you to worship in spirit and truth and not follow any organization.

Yes, but I don't think that's realistic for the elderly gentleman in question. From the original post, it sounds like he is too deeply attached to the organization for that to be an option. The organization's lack of compassion for people in his situation is why I feel compelled to criticize the organization's collective behavior. Show him some mercy, please!

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

I know a man that had the same love for GOD and was waiting on his retirement to go into full-time ministry. This man is very loving and does it not for the organization but for GOD. Tell me when you all left the W.T.S. what path did you choose? Did you go back to being a part of this world or did you remain faithful to GOD? Once you leave this organization which one do you choose to attend? I have been asked this many times and I just say, I have no idea. This is because they were so close to what GOD required that no other religions compared. Let me think, hmmmm, catholics nope, muslims nope, mormons nope, and the list goes on.......therefore it is best to continue being faithful to GOD and worship in spirit and truth. Ask the man if he is happy. If he is then leave him be. Pretty simple I think.

t.f.d.s.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

LITShort,

I understand completely what you are saying. I started a thread called Giveyourself a Mental Makeover. No one was really interested in it, but I think it makes your point. The WT org is breeding depression and mental illness because of it's guilt-riddled way of forcing people to do its bidding.

You are absolutely correct.

• Chalam
    Chalam

How can the JW's not see how crazy this is. We are not spreading Good news we are bugging the heck out of people.

Agreed. Unfortunately, JWs are also spreading a "different Gospel".

Galatians 1:6-9 (English Standard Version)

No Other Gospel
    6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

All the best, Stephen
  • truthlover
    truthlover

LITS:

Is your hubby an elder or MS?? Even if a pub.. its nice that this older pub can call him to get picked up... some cong have a list to make sure no one is left out --- The admonition to those who cannot, for whatever reason, get out in FS is to not worry, if they can put in 15 min a month, its ok, they are not told to gt out to obtain any quotas -- this has been in place now for several years... and there are a lot of older and sick ones who just cannot do it..they cant even get to the mtgs - as they are on phone hook up ....Jehovah knows of their work and efforts previously, so time gets to us all, and the bodies are breaking down and cant do what it used to - I would say, it would be loving on the cong part to ensure this gentlemen is visited and asked out for meals, etc. to let him know he is a valued member of the flock.. somewhere he feels he has to do this and that just isnt so

TL

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

L.I.2.short,

Yep, that's sad. Not that I was old or sick or infirm, but too much of my over-zealous youth and middle years were plagued with feelings of guilt and inadequacy and depression.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Going back over this post...I remember when I was a JW
    I used to work alone ,BECAUSE I walk funny with my rheamatoid Arth:
    But I KNEW I had to please Jah! going no matter how much pain I was in

So let us hope that this man.... lifeis toshort,gets kicked out like I did,
    Was the best thing that happened to me in my life
    Your hubby is trapped.Power is a dangerous thing to have.
    And your old man thinks he has the power to enable this poor man

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

well i have to tell ya. my mom is 83 and her greatest joy in life is going out in service. the witness work is really all she has ever known.

when i call she loves for me to ask about her service experiences. now, i went another path. i don't want her judging me for the path i

took, and i as well do not judge her for the path she took. i am sorry she is not happier. but i do know that the things that do make her

happy are her witness friends, meetings and going in service.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

He can select names from the phone book and pray for them, counting his time as he does so. Prayer has been shown to be only slightly less effective than the door-to-door ministry.

Of course this does nothing to place litter-ture, so he'll have to fake some number there, but his house will be warm as he burns his placements from last month to make room for this month's allotments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit