A sad call from an older brother

by life is to short 38 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

I am making such a deal out of it because it affects me. I have a husband who is older than I am and I can see what my life will be like when he get that age and it is depressing, sad, and very frustrating. My husband is already that way really has been for along time.

And no this man is not HAPPY and he is not enjoying his life. He is putting himself out there to do what some religion has brainwashed him into believing that God demands of them. That is why I am making a big deal out of it. Because it is sad that this religion makes people feel guilt. And we just sit back and help them by saying well if it makes him happy. It is crazy.

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

I am making such a deal out of it because it affects me. I have a husband who is older than I am and I can see what my life will be like when he get that age and it is depressing, sad, and very frustrating. My husband is already that way really has been for along time.

And no this man is not HAPPY and he is not enjoying his life. He is putting himself out there to do what some religion has brainwashed him into believing that God demands of them. That is why I am making a big deal out of it. Because it is sad that this religion makes people feel guilt. And we just sit back and help them by saying well if it makes him happy. It is crazy.

Is anything that you tell this man going to change his way of thinking and way of life? Have you even tried? The point of the matter is that people believe what they do for one reason or another, even is another person can show to them from the bible that their way of thinking is not correct. Treat one another with love and respect and put up with one another. One Law will unify all peoples, nations, and tongues. That is the purpose of The Kingdom of GOD is it not? Until then all you can do is state your opinon, but why waste your time and energy? If one does not listen and agree with you then move on to another that does. You will either instruct them on what might be a correct understanding of what you read, or mislead them. Love and unity will bring people together before disagreement upon what is written will. There are many people that feel the way you do of course and it is obvious by the many people within this forum. This mans sole purpose is to serve GOD the way he knows best, so praise this man for his belief and faith in GOD.......

t.f.d.s.

• Robdar
    Robdar

And worry about what the old man is doing is going to help your situation in what way?

If you are afraid your situation is going to be just as crazy, what is your criticism of the old man accomplishing for you? How is that helping you? How is talking bad about an old man who takes his comfort from going out in service helping anybody?

I am not being unkind. I just do not understand where you are coming from.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Another thing: this old brother is showing you what you signed up for. It isn't too late to change your future. I agree, it is very distateful and I feel for what you are going through. You must have more intestinal fortitude than I did. I left the org years ago. I couldnt deal with it.

• life is to short
    life is to short

All I was trying to do by this thread was to show how sad this religion is. Robdar I am sorry if I have offended you but is this not the purpose of this sight to talk about what you see. How many thread to you totally agree with?

What about a young couple with a child who needs blood are you going to say well if it makes them happy not let their child die oh well.

I am not trying to fight we are all in our own stages of getting out and waking up this is my stage. I am so glad that you were smarter than I and you saw it before I have, but I am now starting to see things and this is just one of many. I started this thread to show others what I have seen. I am sorry it seems to have upset so many.

What I do not understand is why? I still feel my point is valid. This religion places a ton of guilt on many people to the point that some kill themselves over it. If someones thread makes someone think hey that is a valid point than is that not the reason of this sight?

No I am not going to get this older man to change or do anything my point was how sad it is that he feels like he does. Sorry again for upsetting so many.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    All I was trying to do by this thread was to show how sad this religion is. Robdar I am sorry if I have offended you but is this not the purpose of this sight to talk about what you see. How many thread to you totally agree with?

You have not offended me. Knowing that much gets lost in writing, I am just trying to understand you. Please do not misconstrue what I am saying.

What about a young couple with a child who needs blood are you going to say well if it makes them happy not let their child die oh well.

A blood transfusion is not the same as going out in service.

I am not trying to fight we are all in our own stages of getting out and waking up this is my stage. I am so glad that you were smarter than I and you saw it before I have, but I am now starting to see things and this is just one of many. I started this thread to show others what I have seen. I am sorry it seems to have upset so many.

Well, I cannot speak for others but you have not upset me. I agree with you that you are in a strange situation, and I think this thread was really more about your fear for what may happen to you. I was just trying to affirm your fears that this, too, is waiting for you.

What I do not understand is why? I still feel my point is valid. This religion places a ton of guilt on many people to the point that some kill themselves over it. If someones thread makes someone think hey that is a valid point than is that not the reason of this sight?

If you are really talking about your own fears, your point is valid. The old brother you are speaking about does not feel the same way you do. Criticizing him is accomplishing nothing.

I got out as a teenager. I am not trying to say I was smarter than you and I am not trying to dismiss your fears and concerns. "If I knew the way, I would take you home. "

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

I am not upset by any means. And of course you have valid points where the teachings of the W.T.S. can cause harm to those that follow their teaching. In the case of saving someones life as in the situation of blood tranfusions, by all means do your utmost to save a persons life. Your example of this older gentleman is based upon what you feel might be causing him depression. On the contrary this is what perhaps he enjoys so why change it? What you can do in this case if at all possible, is to ask this man not to be so hard on himself. Help him to understand that GOD will take all into consideration exspecially his old age. This might helo relieve what you feel might be his guilt and depression. I feel bad when I stray or do something I had no intention of doing. This is not such a bad thing. Have a good day and know that you are also praiseworthy for standing up for what you feel is right and/or accurate.

t.f.d.s.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

I admire the old man's determination and dedication to do what he feels is his duty. Those are admirable traits!

The problem is that somebody is taking advantage of that man's courageous spirit. I cannot condone how the teachings, writings, and actions of the Watchtower Society use guilt and shame to induce him and others like him to do more than he is physically capable of. "We must strive harder in the field work, the goal is very near, there is so little time left!" There is a huge difference between encouragement and exploitation.

Imagine a High School coach who yells at his players that they're not working hard enough, that they aren't doing all they should to help the team, that they should stay out in the hot sun practiclng far past the point of exhaustion--then a player drops dead of heat stroke. What do you think of a "leader" pushing his charges so hard? Such behavior is inexcusable! It is loathsome! It is sinful!

That is how I see the Watchtower behaving when they push for more, more, and even more field service. That tired old man has already given you more than his fair share. Instead of asking to do more than his body allows, why not show him appreciation for what he has already done and allow him his well-earned rest?

• Son of Man
    Son of Man

That is how I see the Watchtower behaving when they push for more, more, and even more field service. That tired old man has already given you more than his fair share. Instead of asking to do more than his body allows, why not show him appreciation for what he has already done and allow him his well-earned rest?

Who do you approach in order to accomplish what you just stated? The man or the W.T.S.? Neither one of them might listen to you so no opportunity for resolution in your way of thinking.

What would GOD do?

GOD would tell you to worship in spirit and truth and not follow any organization. Study the bible and do your best to conform to a christlike personality. Teach those that are willling to learn based upon what you understand without stating that you are all knowing. If you feel like you want to go out on the street and teach ot from house to house to teach so be it. There is nothing wrong with that unless it is against the laws in that land. In that case study on your own and teach when you can. Jesus Christ layed down his life as a perfect sacrifice once and for all, therefore no one else has to sacrifice their life. Donate your monies if you can afford it to those with little or nothing. Something as little as 25 cents to a child in need is better than the same amount to any organized religion. You support the cost to maintain their building and it is just as simple to meet inyour neighbors home.Who ends up with the value of the real estate in the end the people that go to worship or the one that holds the deed to the property? Use your thinking ability when it comes down to your worship and weigh things out in your hearts and minds. You will be rewarded accordingly.......

t.f.d.s.

• garyneal
    garyneal

This reminds me of the old lady who my wife and I spoke to at the first KH wedding I attended. She kept explaining to herself, over and over, how she could not make as many meetings because she was caring for her ailing relatives. I kept wanting to tell her that she has no need to explain herself and I wanted to reassure her that pleasing God does not equate attending every meeting but I never know how to handle these situations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit