Bible Fraud

by radar 12 Replies latest jw friends

• radar
    radar

Here is an extract from the book: The Bible fraud, by Tony Bushby.

Some may find this a revelation!

JUST WHO WERE THE PARENTS OF JESUS CHRIST?

In the opening sentence of a New Testament parable, Jesus stated:
    A man of noble birth was on a long journey abroad, to have himself appointed king, and return. (Luke 19:12)

Herein lies part of a profound Gospel truth revealing the substance of historical information that the Church has strived for 2,000 years to conceal. This tale of long-ago misconceptions and mistaken identities must be clarified so that the original story may be seen to rest upon a true and sure foundation. For this purpose, we begin with the examination of Church writings purporting to record the birth of Jesus Christ.

The Gospels of Matthew and Luke state that Jesus Christ was the first-born of Mary and Joseph and that he had four younger brothers and at least two sisters (Mark 6:3). Roman Catholics are obliged to hold the opinion that the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ were the children of Joseph by a former marriage. This conclusion originally stemmed from the Gospel of James (the Protevanglium) which refers to the age of Joseph at the birth of Jesus. However, it is clearly recorded that Joseph had sexual relations with Mary after the birth of Jesus. The statement in the Gospel of Matthew that Joseph "knew her not until she had born a son" (Matt. 1:25) eliminated the Church's claim that Mary was a perpetual virgin. From the statements in the Gospels of Mark and Matthew, it is clear that the brothers and sisters of Jesus were subsequent children of Mary in the fullest sense.

Joseph returned to Galilee with the intention of marrying Mary. The Gospels according to Matthew and Luke clearly explain that they were "betrothed" before Joseph's departure. This was the equivalent of being "engaged" in modern-day terminology. However, upon his return some months later, it was plainly apparent that Mary "was with child" (Luke 2:5) and it "could not be hid from Joseph". The Gospel of Matthew elaborated extensively upon the feelings of Joseph when he saw the violated condition of his bride-to-be. He was uneasy, and being unwilling to defame her he privately discussed ending their engagement (Matt. 1:19). From the description in the Gospels, it is clear that Joseph was not the biological father of Mary's child. So, who was?

The Evidence of the Rabbis

The Jewish records of the Rabbis are of extreme importance in determining Gospel origins and the value of the Church presentation of the virgin birth story of Jesus Christ. A common appellation for Jesus in the Talmud is Yeshu'a ben Panthera, an allusion to the widespread Jewish belief during the earliest centuries of the Christian era that Jesus was the result of an illegitimate union between his mother and a Roman soldier named Tiberius Julius Abdes Panthera.

The Talmud enshrines within its pages Jewish oral law. It is divided into two parts, the Mishna and the Gemara. The first discusses such subjects as festivals and sacred things. The Gemara is basically a commentary on these subjects. When the Talmud was written is not known. Some authorities suggest a date of 150-160, around the same time the Christian Gospels began to emerge, while others say 450.

The Talmud writers mention Jesus' name 20 times and quite specifically documents that he was born an illegitimate son of a Roman soldier called Panthera, nicknamed "the Panther". Panthera's existence was confirmed by the discovery of a mysterious tombstone at Bingerbrück in Germany. The engraving etched in the headstone reads:
    Tiberius Julius Abdes Panthera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 AD was transferred to service in Rhineland [Germany].10

This inscription adds fuel to the theory that Jesus was the illegitimate son of Mary and the soldier Panthera. Classical scholar Professor Morton Smith of Columbia University, USA, describes the tombstone as possibly "our only genuine relic of the holy family".11 In many Jewish references, Jesus is often referred to as "ben Panthera", ben meaning "son of". However cautious one ought to be in accepting anything about Jesus from Jewish sources, in the matter of Jesus ben Panthera the writers seem more consistent than the men we now call the Church fathers.

Scholars over the centuries have discussed at length why Jesus was so regularly called ben Panthera. Adamantius Origen, an early Christian historian and Church father (185-251), recorded the following verses about Mary from the research records of a highly regarded second-century historian and author named Celsus (c. 178):
    Mary was turned out by her husband, a carpenter by profession, after she had been convicted of unfaithfulness. Cut off by her spouse, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard; that Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt; that while there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing.12

Later, in passage 1:32, Origen supports the Jewish records and confirms that the paramour of the mother of Jesus was a Roman soldier called Panthera, a name he repeats in verse 1:69. Some time during the 17th century, those sentences were erased from the oldest Vatican manuscripts and other codices under Church control.13

The traditional Church writings of St Epiphanius, the Bishop of Salamis (315-403), again confirm the ben Panthera story, and his information is of a startling nature. This champion of Christian orthodoxy and saint of Roman Catholicism states:
    Jesus was the son of a certain Julius whose surname was Panthera.14

This is an extraordinary declaration, simply recorded in ancient records as accepted Church history. The ben Panthera legend was so widespread that two early stalwarts of the Christian Church inserted the name in the genealogies of Jesus and Mary as a matter of fact. Enlarging on that statement, this passage from the Talmud:
    Rabbi Shiemon ben Azzai has said: I found in Jerusalem a book of genealogies; therein was written that Such-an-one [Jesus] is the bastard son of an adulteress.15

"Such-an-one" was one of the well-known substitutes for Jesus in the Talmud, as has been proved and admitted on either side. Shiemon ben Azzai flourished at the end of the first century and beginning of the second. He was one of four famous Rabbis who, according to Talmudic tradition, "entered Paradise". He was a Chassid (the pious Jews of Palestine), most probably an Essene, and remained a celibate and rigid ascetic until his death.

The story of Mary's pregnancy by a Roman soldier also appears in the sacred book of the Moslems, the Koran. It states that "a full-grown man" forced his attentions on Mary, and in her fear of the disgrace that would follow she left the area and bore Jesus in secret. This story was supported in the Gospel of Luke, with the description of the departure of Joseph and Mary from their home prior to the birth. Rape was a common event in Palestine during the Roman occupation, and soldiers were notorious for their treatment of young women. It would be unthinkable for Mary to admit such an event had occurred, for under the Law of Moses a betrothed virgin who had sex with any man during the period of her betrothal was to be stoned to death by the men of the city (Deut. 22:21). Simply put, Mary faced the death penalty unless she could prove her innocence.

Radar

• FreePeace
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Sorry, radar, had to pull my comments.

• accuracy
    accuracy

I hope the rest of that stuff is more accurate than what was said about the story of Jesus' birth in the Koran. There is no such story. Rather, the Koran agrees that Jesus had a Virgin Birth:

"Behold! the angels said: 'O Mary! God giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to God.'"

"She said: 'O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?' He said: 'Even so: God createth what He willeth; when He hath declared a plan, He but saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!'" (Koran, 3:45, 47, A. Yusuf Ali translation)

The Talmud does contain the ben Pantera story, but everything the Talmud says about Jesus is derogatory. The rabbinic Judaism of the time was antagonistic to Christianity.

Besides, if we cannot accept the stories of Jesus' disciples which were written in the first century, why should we accept legends that were enshrined in the Talmud in the fourth century?

• radar
    radar

Accuracy

You said that the Koran texts support a virgin birth.

To the muslim faith, the idea of God having a son, is ridiculous.
    That is why muslims only accept Jesus as a prophet, and not as a son of God.
    The texts you quoted, does not support the virgin birth story anyway.
    Not that I believe the koran anymore than the Bible, it is just for reference points only.

Radar

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    "She said: 'O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?' He said: 'Even so: God createth what He willeth; when He hath declared a plan, He but saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!'" (Koran, 3:45, 47, A. Yusuf Ali translation)

What am I missing here Radar?

Also, can you point me at the Koran verse that states a "full grown man" forced himself on Mary?

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Many skeptics have been embarrassed by Bible-believers who challenged them to provide the documentation for the Pope Leo quotation; I don't think it exists.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    Tiberius Julius Abdes Panthera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 AD was transferred to service in Rhineland [Germany].10

radar, how is it that Panthera's gravestone was marked in a calendar system that wasn't in existence at the time of his death?

For this reason alone, I don't believe the story.

Gently Feral

"There were cockroaches of course,
    but very clean cockroaches."
    -- Julia Vinograd

• radar
    radar

S.S You of little faith!

Six of nine....one of us is missing something, maybe I am arguing an empty point here, but the text quoted by (accuracy) does not itself specify how Mary would have a child, but simply says that "god will create what he will".
    Did not Sarah exclaim similar sentiments when she was barren in her old age with Abraham? A child was promised by God and it came.

regardless of this, the koran obviously had its origins from earlier christian writings, so the story will appear in it in some form.

Michaelis, Jonathon D., Commentaries on the Law of Moses, vols I-IV, 1814.

The point been made in this book is that there are religious texts in existance that the church has seen fit to remove.

The traditional Church writings of St Epiphanius, the Bishop of Salamis (315-403), again confirm the ben Panthera story, and his information is of a startling nature. This champion of Christian orthodoxy and saint of Roman Catholicism states:
    Jesus was the son of a certain Julius whose surname was Panthera.14Epiphanius, Haer (Heresies), lxxvii, 7.

To any who are intersted here is the link to info I posted.
    http://www.nexusmagazine.com/biblefraud1.html#16.

GentlyFeral, see Morton Smith, Prof., Jesus the Magician, San Francisco, 1978.

Radar

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Still grasping at straws, eh Radar? If you are so COCKSURE you have chosen the correct course, why do you drone on with oft-refuted, retread articles from Reformed (Atheist) Jews?
    This is a forum designed to give free info to JWS, not bash Christianity (or any other religion).
    The resurrection was witnessed by so many that they could not deny the event when Paul so eloquently defended the faith in 60 something C.E.
    Of course the Jews could not refute the miracles worked by Christ, so they stoop to discrediting Him. They missed the one event they were waiting for and the fact that they missed it was predicted in their VERY OWN SCRIPTURES. They are like JWs, they ignore the prophecies fulfilled by Christ and especially do they ignore Isaiah 53.
    Many charlatans came along and the Jews followed some of them, this led to their devestation in both 70 C.E. and again fifty years later.
    As usual, you bark up the puny skeptic's 'tree' while you ignore the 'Redwood' of Christian evidence. LOL
    Cheers!
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit