Swine Flu

by purplesofa 31 Replies latest jw friends

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

My daughter got it up at college. She called me after visiting the medical office up there and said they diagnosed her with swine flu. Needless to say, I called them in a panic - they were extremely informative and said that the H1N1 virus is usually a more mild flu than the normal seasonal flu. That was the case for my daughter. I think she was sick for all of 4 days.

I was just visiting both kids at college last week, and guess who ended up with H1N1 before I even got back home - yup, me. Oh joy. I'm better now, but I lived on Advil and Robitussin for a week.

GGG

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

So far, with all the vitamins I have been taking (and no shots), I only got the No Flu--the one where you don't get it.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Just recovering from it. Went down last Thursday and forced myself back to work today. Likely staying bed tomorrow cause I am exhausted and obviously not over it yet (still infectious). It is a brutal bug.

Considering I sit on the Provincial (state) steering committee on pandemic planning and have been very active in both the H5N1 and H1N1 activities I am not thrilled with irony that it took me down prior to the vaccine being available. At least gives me a perspective I didn't have before I suppose.

I encourage all to get the vaccine and not to buy into the Internet hype against them. Despite having the flu this week, I will be posing next week for a media event where various sector leaders will be publicly getting the shot. I believe in the benefit of the vaccine that much.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Hope you all feel better soon! It's a nasty flu for sure and set to keep on spreading.

I had suspected swine flu a few months ago, but at that time they weren't testing for it anymore. Still, few days ago I went and had the shot. My Dr said even if I'd already had swine flu, it was ok to get the shot 'just in case'. The flu I had a few months back, my god, I thought I would die. Absolutely horrendous and THE worst pain I have ever been in. Worse than childbirth! Thankfully only lasted 4 days of that extreme pain.

Oh and I have to add, when I got this flu...I had already had the seasonal flu shot a couple of months prior. So it's highly likely it was swine flu I had.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I wonder if I have recently recovered from it. I just had the worst flu I've ever had in my life. It gave me an ear infection with a lot of nauseua and dizziness, tonnes of pressure in my sinuses and ears, buckets of snot, and I had a phlegmy cough that still hasn't totally gone, and I first got this about 3 weeks ago! Wasn't too feverish but was very weak.

I got some antiobiotics but the doctor never diagnosed me with swine flu so I probably didn't have it.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

With the flu I had, I couldn't move any part of my body. I was on codeine up to the eyeballs and still unable to move about. I literally stayed in bed 4 days. When the Dr finally made a house visit in the early hours of the morning, I could barely even get to the door! I had the usual fever, sweating etc but it was the aching that almost killed me. It was all over in 4 days. Weird!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am feeling allot better today, still tired and this awful hacking cough.

sometimes after one of these coughing spells I am fully exhausted.

I talked to my daughter and grand daughter last night, they are doing well.

Uzzah, should we get the swine flu shot if we already had swine flu?

wantstoleave,

can't imagine getting a housecall from a doc!

purps

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Purps, yes, you should still get the shot if you've had swine flu. That's what all the printed info over here is saying, as well as my Dr saying that too. He said it does no harm if you've already had H1N1. As for the housecall...lol. Doesn't cost a thing either .

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Do we have to worry about this one now? sammieswife.

40,000 contract serious virus in Ukraine, kills 30

Subscribe to author Published 7 hours ago by ¦ Andrew Moran - 4 votes, 2 comments
    ShareThisShare on Facebook
    Listen - Email - Print

As the world enters the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic season, another possible virus emerges as 30 people in the Eastern European country of Ukraine have died from this latest flu. Each country is dealing with their own cases of the H1N1 Swine Flu and many have even taken the vaccination but is H1N1 the only flu out there? A viral infection in Ukraine has taken the lives of 30 people and at first it seemed like an ordinary flu but after a week the symptoms became worse.Radio Netherlands Worldwide reports 40,000 Ukrainians have contracted the disease and at least 100 are in the hospital. Tests are currently being conducted and all is known is that it is not the H1N1 Swine Flu.A large number of schools and childcare facilities are being shut down, especially in the city of Lvov. Also, government agencies are handing out surgical masks and gloves to people in the western part of Ukraine.However, Russia Today is reporting that it is A/H1N1 or Californian Flu and the total number of deaths is closer to 40.Prime Minister Timoshenko stated, “Express-tests cannot provide a hundred percent verification of the virus, they give only 50% accuracy. That’s why blood probes of those who died were sent to special laboratories for further testing. And only this morning it was confirmed that at least 11 deaths were caused by the A/H1N1 virus.”The Ukrainian government is calling for international aid to help fight their epidemic and President Yushchenko believes the country needs more than $6 million to battle the epidemic(s).Wolne Media have also reported that the symptoms have been diagnosed as pneumonia. Furthermore, four patients in the hospital in Lviv Oblast have been confirmed to have “very severe pneumonia” after contracting the influenza.
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hey Purps, just saw this; hope you're all better soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit