What does a congregations 'record' say about it?

by babygirl30 10 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

The cong I belonged to was very large...it was the 'popular' hall! I say that because it was a new building (double-khall), a lot of FAMILIES went to this hall whether they were in the territory or not - if their relation went there or their 'friends' were in this cong - THEY came too! Lots of young couples...they drank together, they partied together, they go out clubbing together, and they all had their kids together. UGH!!!!

Anyways, around the time that I was going through my issues with my abusive ex JW fiance...a LOT of things were going on in that cong. UNHAPPY couples (you could see it on their faces), elders wives NOT coming to mtgs at all (not due to illness either...), a pioneer had a nervous breakdown RIGHT IN THE KHALL during the mtg - and was sitting in the front row too!, several others reg pioneers came off the list, I got DF'd, another older sister whose been in the org for 25yrs walked away and refuses to go back because of how she was treated terribly by the elders in dealing with her divorce from her adulterous abusive 'elder' exhusband, 2 other young sisters were DF'd - 1 before and the other after me, and lastly a 'newly' baptized sister also just walked away...literally 6 mos AFTER she was baptized AND on the platform giving her experience at a C.A!!! From what I hear, she got sick of how hypocritcal the young people were in the org...and she felt she could do BETTER in the world.

That's a LOT of people all in the SAME cong...and a ton of drama. So when there are that many issues in 1 cong, who does that reflect badly on: (1) the people who are having the issues, (2) the elders who should be HELPING these ones, or (3) that cong as a whole?

• JWoods
    JWoods

(4) the religion itself.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The CO would be asking the Elders if any of them were hiding a secret sin because the the spirit's operation is being hindered - we had a similar situation a few years back and that was exactly the the question asked of us.

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

cantleave has it right. the first question would be directed at the elder body. it would be looked to them to see if there is a secret sin. if nothing is found, a "shake up" of the body may take place deleting some if not all the body and bringing in a new group. however, not to that degree, but all congos have problems. we had one congo in our circuit that was very large and was a popular congo due to all the opportunities for young people to be together, alot of spiritual families. within a period of six months after the first younger person was df'd, a whole group of younger ones were either df'd or put on some sort of reproof. many left, only one or two came back after a few years. the elder body did get a big shake up at one point, which seemed to bring things back in line. i tend to believe things like this are cyclical though. maybe time for fresh blood to run the house for awhile.

• snowbird
    snowbird

It says a lot about the religion!

Toxic!

Sylvia

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

That happened in a couple of congregations I was in, and I heard of others. Personally I think it's because of the pressure on everyone that there has to be an occasional blowout. I've seen it happen in a couple of high control companies I worked for in the past too, not just with the JWs.

W

• zarco
    zarco

Typically witnesses suffer from narcissistic tendencies and a short sighted view. The narcissism comes from believing that they, as one tenth of a percent of the world’s population, are the only ones that have it right. All modern day events are fulfillment of prophecy written about them. As a people chosen by the almighty himself, they do not have to render an account to the lowly human race (and common good), but only to the WT itself.

Secondly, witnesses think that their god will magically rid the world of all their problems - money problems, health problems, relationship problems, environmental problems and etc.- are all magically taken care of soon. What does that cause? It causes people to not put effort and thought into fixing or improving on those problems for themselves.

That is why for many, it is a surprise to find that there are mamy “worldly” people who care and invest great effort in solving problems because they take responsibility for them and do not wait for god to solve them.

In our experience, there are some wonderful witnesses, but the majority to not take a long term view of anything and it reaps the results that you would expect. There are some pretty awful witnesses.

Regards,

zarco

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Nicely written Zarco-

• the real life
    the real life

As if God would take away holy spirit from an entire congregation because of one elder's sin? Sounds like one tricky bastard.

• cattails
    cattails

Reminds me of the book by George Orwell "Animal Farm" where the chickens would feel guilty and confess to anything and be slaughtered. That's what the pig CO wants from the pig Elders, to be chickens when they need chickens.

All right that sounds pretty weird. I'll log out now, I've been reading too many JWN posts today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit