How Many JWs Stay In & Are Not "True Believers"?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

How many are simply there because they don't care about religion and "where would they go"?

How many have sold their souls just to remain in "friendships" and "family"?

I think there are tons of Jehovah's Witnesses in name only.

• blondie
    blondie

Define "true believer."

• JWoods
    JWoods

I would guess about 50%. Including, believe it or not, 50% of the elders at any given time. Or, perhaps even more.

I think only about 20% could really be called "true believers".

• blondie
    blondie

There are a lot of smorgasbord or "pick and choose" jws.

Reminds of this seemingly self describing comment by the WTS.

*** g02 4/22 p. 9 Is "Private Religion" the Answer? ***Clearly, in many respects private religion falls short of satisfying the spiritual needs of people. Really, how could a person reasonably expect to fill such needs by simply selecting beliefs from various traditions, as if picking the most enticing dishes at a buffet table or smorgasbord?

*** w03 4/15 p. 4 Spiritual Values—Where Are They Heading? ***In Western society, a do-it-yourself religion is developing in which everyone assumes the right to pick and choose his beliefs. Certain dogmas are accepted, whereas others are cast aside.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

My guess would be 'Lots of them are there in name only' Probably the fear of 'shunning' contributes to this or the fact that you might lose some 'golfing buddies' also if you left the Organization!

Outaservice

• JWoods
    JWoods

I would also like to suggest that the higher the "worldly" or "material" status of the JW in question, also the higher the likelyhood that this person will be very much the "pick and choose" type.

Many of these elite JW people are really there only because they enjoy the lower rank and file looking up to them - and they quite often feel that because of their social status they are immune from the intervention of the society menial rules.

I actually knew an elder who did not ever knock a single door in over 15 years of my time inside. He eventually came afoul of a go-getter young circuit overseer and was removed for "insincerity". He pretty much told the board of directors that he got his time by incidental witnessing to people at work and did not need to knock doors.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Many of the True Believers..

Cherry Pick,the WBT$ Rules they follow..

And..

Believe the WBT$ is Gods organization..

The WBT$ is Rife with Hypocrites..

From the Top to the Bottom..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I think there are many who say they believe, but in reality do not have a clue about doctrinal issues. They have delegated their belief system to the congregation.

• Regretful_J
    Regretful_J

For most of my life I was a Witness in name only, I realize today that I was in denial about being a "JW in name only". I was pressured to get baptized and I loved the attention I got for that brief period though when it wore off I realized there was nothing really good about it. Now I had to watch my back constantly. My Grandpa has a high level position in Bethel in Poland and my mother who came to the U.S from that country is always paranoid to make sure nothing gets back there that would embarrass him. Sometimes I wonder if she really cares about anything but her image. My dad isn't much better, they just try to put on this front of righteousness when deep down they probably are conflicted about many things. When I was still going to meetings my brother would sometimes tell me that he sometimes had doubts about the existence of "god" but now that I'm not going anymore he's in total denial too.

Having said that I believe that there are many JW's that are in denial about doubts they have and only keep going to the meetings and doing everything asked of them in order to maintain their "good image".

• minimus
    minimus

True believer---one who swallows, hook, line and sinker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit