How Much of an Impact is Being Made by Young JW' s Leaving the Cult ?

by flipper 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I was baptised in 1996 and my younger son at 8 in 1997

What the snarf is going through ANY elder's head baptizing an 8 year old boy???? After all this time, it amazes me. No infant baptism. Yeah, right.

Anyway, it seems like my situation is just the opposite from all the other posts. My husband's sibs and kids and my sister's kids all super strong, no flinching or blinking. Still, there's super-strong socio-familial pressure and I wouldn't be surprised to see something crack in the next few years.

Who knows...I feel like I'm the only one in my whole family who can see this religion for what it is. Oh, wait--I AM the only one!

• JWoods
    JWoods

Jeez, can you imagine the possibility of a kid baptised at 8, talks back to his mom & dad, won't clean his room, steals money from the contribution box, and ----

Gets disfellowshipped at 9 or 10?

• Heaven
    Heaven

Baptizing children sounds like an act of desperation to me. It is a very irresponsible thing to do.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I have not stepped inside of a Kingdom Hall for 30 years but I live in a large apartment complex that's dominated by them. What I've noticed is that, young or old, a lot of exJWs in general still think that the society is hot caca and have a guilty conscience for not being in. They even get agitated when you say anything negative about the organization.

Whatever the impact of their leaving is I have a feeling that in a crisis situation they may start running back to the organization. I don't mean just personal crisis but social crisis which I believe may be coming in the next few years. It is during times of insecurity that people tend to turn to religion and I believe that the future will be a godsend for many religions particularly the JWs.

Keep in mind that they survived Joseph Rutherfords tyranny which made them lose 3/4 of their membership.

villabolo

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

in my experience 20% of kids become uberwitlesses, 50% leave, and 30% keep on "coasting" to please relatives and seem interested

I've seen many date "wordly" people, and get engaged to them when this "wordly" one gets dunked.

so voila! there's the growth! baptized by force due to wedding interests

• villabolo
    villabolo

DaCheech: in my experience 20% of kids become uberwitlesses, 50% leave, and 30% keep on "coasting" to please relatives and seem interested"

Good point on the 20% that become super-witnesses. If the JWs were for any reason to have a mass exodus the super-witnesses would be more likely to remain while the "fluff" decide to leave. Since these uberwitnesses are the most fanatical and zealous they could be several times, let's say five times, more productive than the "weak" ones. This means that they can easily compensate for the loss of the others and when conditions are right reestablish their numbers.

Something similar probably happened during the Rutherfordian purges.

villabolo

• Balsam
    Balsam

One of my son's Dak died as a witness at 15.

My oldest son Drew and my youngest son Dirk left the witnesses after their brother died.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for all the great responses ! I had to do an all night strip job last night. ( Let me clarify : An all night FLOOR STRIPPING job last night )

So just now been able to read everyones takes. Too many too fast to reply to but I appreciate them all. Just wanted to comment on a few statements you folks made. I do agree with you that by young people exiting the cult it does put lots of pressure on the WT socities ability to get new blood for elders and MS's in the future. I think they will be drawing straws to see who even serves as an elder in 20 years anymore.

Also- It does appear by all your comments that about 85 % I estimate of you have noticed a sizeable percentage of young adults ( 21 - 35 ) exiting the witnesses in the last 5 years or so. And the ones that don't exit are either going through problems in the organization, stresses, or broken marriages , etc.

To me - This is a sign that people are definitely waking up to the deception of the WT society one step at a time, as each mind gets opened to reality. I hope many more will see the " real " light

• flipper
    flipper

Wanted to bump this up if any had comments on this subject. Appreciate it

• LucyA
    LucyA

Well speaking from experience in my Ex congregation it goes like this

Family 1- 4 children 3 out

Family 2- 3 Children all out

Family 3- 1 child still in (uber JW)

Family 4- 2 children all out

Family 5- 2 children still in (one dying)

Family 6- 5 children all out including parents.

so whats that out of 17 chlidren 13 are out. I grew up in a really small cong though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit