Questions From Readers - April 15, 2015 Watchtower

by sd-7 23 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Now, I'm not a prophet, but I would consider this article to be a uh, spirit-directed excerpt from what could happen--but we are not saying. It could. But we are not saying:

Questions From Readers

Is it necessary to offer thanks in prayer before eating snacks?

In the time of Moses and the Israelites, snacks generally did not exist. Food could not be stored as it is today due to modern technology. For example, the Passover lamb could only be eaten on the night it was slaughtered. None of it was to remain until the morning. (Ex. 12:10) Similarly, the manna that the Israelites received in the wilderness sustained them only for one day. They were not permitted to take up more than one day’s supply of food (with the exception of Sunday’s food being provided on Saturday, when a double portion of manna was sent from heaven), evidently meaning Jehovah provided only enough for three square meals--not for satanic fourthmeals like those engaged in by the surrounding pagan nations. (Ex. 16:15-19) Thus, the matter of offering thanks to Jehovah over a snack never became an issue.

However, in recent times, it has become possible to preserve more food than is required for three square meals. Also, snack foods—various forms of chocolate, candy, pastries and the like—have become more and more readily available. Do these items, being food, come from Jehovah as well? Apparently so, as Jehovah is “the giver of every good gift and perfect present” and thus provided man with the means of creating snack foods.

Would it, then, be inappropriate to offer to thanks over food that is not even a meal? That is up to the individual to decide. But those who choose to display a lack of regard for the sacred provisions of food, doing so brazenly in the presence of others, may be subject to judicial action, up to and including being removed from the Christian congregation for failure to appreciate sacred things, just like Esau, who undoubtedly did not thank Jehovah when he gave away his right as firstborn in exchange for one meal. (Heb. 12:16) Why is it reasonable to conclude that such failure to offer thanks over a small amount of food is similar to Esau’s rebellious spirit?

It is entirely possible that this meal may not have been more than a snack, as not only did Esau ask for some of the stew, but he also needed bread to supplement it. (Gen. 25:30-34) Clearly, since Jacob, in compliance with righteous principles he must have learned from his father Isaac, would not have made more stew than could be consumed in one day, it is not likely that it would have been enough to constitute a meal for Esau. We can see this also from the fact that Esau was likely bigger and stronger than Jacob, being a hunter of game. (Gen. 25:27) Hence, the stew given to Esau was evidently a snack—one for which he arrogantly refused to give thanks to Jehovah.

True Christians, therefore, would wisely give thought to these scriptural principles in making their own personal decisions about offering thanks before eating a snack. In doing so, let us remember that it is Jehovah, through the faithful and discreet slave, who provides us with “food at the proper time”. (Matt. 24:45-47)

• sd-7
    sd-7

(with the exception of Sunday’s food being provided on Saturday, when a double portion of manna was sent from heaven)

***This should read: (with the exception of Saturday's food being provided on Friday...) sorry.

• minimus
    minimus

EXCELLENT!!!!!

• IronHill
    IronHill

Thats hilarious!! Very, very good!!

• Prov1320
    Prov1320

I liked this:

That is up to the individual to decide.

Followed by:

may be subject to judicial action, up to and including being removed from the Christian congregation for failure to appreciate sacred things

LOL

• minimus
    minimus

This is like the voting QFR. You can now vote---but you might disassociate yourself if you choose to do it---but it's 100% your CHOICE.

• sd-7
    sd-7

The thought just popped into my head and, realizing I could imitate their writing style so easily, I just started writing the article. Goodness. I can't believe I didn't figure it all out before now...

SD-7

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

" In the time of Moses and the Israelites, snacks generally did not exist. "

REALLY! How do they know that? Adam couldn't have carried around a little pouch containing seeds or walnuts with him?

These fools are hysterical.

• sd-7
    sd-7

That's the idea!! Of course they have no way of knowing that. That's why I wrote it! Because that's the best way they proceed with their arguments--with stuff they couldn't possibly know.

SD-7

• tryingtoexit
    tryingtoexit

Classic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit