Cry of the Heart

by compound complex 18 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

With envy I gaze through rheumy eyes upon the young father whose children clasp Daddy's legs and beg him play. I am planted all day long upon my park bench, sinewy roots sinking deep down, in and around the splintery slats. Smiling and eager to please, Daddy does their silly bidding. Screaming with glee, the little ones pull him down, and in a heap he willingly tumbles at their precious feet.

Twenty years ago I had the same opportunities but refused to participate in childish goings-on. Grass-stained trousers and twigs in the hair were not for this aesthete who, by the happenstance of a marital union, sired offspring. Let the nanny deal with the effects of Nature ground into textiles and pink skin. Mother and Father are about, caring for matters of importance.

Existence now is incarceration with my constant companions, Regret and Cry of the heart. Mother is dead, Jason, my son, gone. He never visits. I am here in my usual spot only through the agency of my male nurse. He is competent but shows no interest beyond doing his job. He is well paid. He displays no willingness to be a son.

• dinah
    dinah

How sad!

One piece of advice my Mom gave me. Play with your kids when they are little. Good advice. They grow up fast.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Dinah:

It couldn't be said any plainer or better than you put it!

I appreciate your input.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• musky
    musky

What's difficult for me is that I know that in my head, But it is difficult to put into practice. It almost seems that I try to get the really big important stuff out of the way so that my mind can be clear to enjoy the family time.But,It seems that "stuff" never really comes to an end.

• dinah
    dinah

Buy the time out. I wish I had done it more often, but life is busy.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Don't give up, Musky. It's not too late.

In the case of Jason and his dad ... well....

It's just a story loosely based on my experience and that of other dads.

CoCo

• John Doe
    John Doe
    One piece of advice my Mom gave me. Play with your kids when they are little. Good advice. They grow up fast.

It's not that us kids grow up fast, it's that you old people get old and senile so fast.

• compound complex
    compound complex

JD:

The writer of the story is not senile, merely contemplative.

CC

• John Doe
    John Doe

I know. I was merely picking on dinah.

• compound complex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit