real fake friends

by diamondiiz 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I wondered how did your "best" jw friends react to when you told them you're leaving wts?

After I found out all I needed to know I called up my old friend who I thought was a good friend but I knew he was a die hard dub and I told him to write down a book and read it. I was refering to Russell's thy Kingdom Come. From there I told him that I'm about to disassociate myself and that's when there was a silence for a moment and I was told that satan got hold of me :) I told him that I am basically looking who my real friends are since I don't need fake friends. Well I was told that I have become an apostate and he couldn't talk to me and we've ended on that. The next day he called and asked me not to hang up and chatted with me for a good hour or so while his wife was away. I basically told him most of the stuff about wts from the pyramid to the pedophile law suits and basically told him I can provide him with all these facts from either legal documents or wts publications and even though he didn't know any of these things which I also pointed out that he didn't know any of these things until I told him even though he was raised a jw and yet he is willing to choose advise of strangers to avoid those leaving the cult his final question was if I believed that gb was faithful and discreet slave to which I obviously replied "no." At this his reply was that we don't have anything in common any more and because we don't have nothing in common we won't speak again to which I said "that's fine I just wanted to know who my real friends are" and that was the end of that. btw when we hang out in the past, wts talk was very uncommon. As far as I'm concerned he was never a true friend and obviously I've wasted my time with such people, in fact it was because of him that I began studying and became in contact with this cult. But he wasn't a typical by the book jw, he did whole bunch of shit while younger and still after he got baptized, he still did bizzar stuff - road rage was just one of them.

Anyways, I thought of sharing this one with you guys and wondered how your experiences went with your so called best jw friends just before or right after you DA yourself.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I am sorry you lost a friend. I hope you make many more to replace him.

When I left the witnesses not much permanent damage was done. My jw girl friends suspected I was leaving and they were very concerned. I even had one friend start to cry because she was worried that I was going to be destroyed at Armageddon. I couldn't be angy at her for worrying about me. I knew she loved me and had concern about my welfare.

I moved away and so the friendship fizzled. Every now and then we run into each other when I am visiting my home town. We still have affection for each other.

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

I had one friend that I'd had for ages. I never mentioned how abusive my ex was, because you didn't talk about that stuff! I hadn't gone to meetings for years, but she never asked, and I never told! But the week after my ex and I broke up, she rang and asked for me to visit. I said I couldn't because I was going somewhere with my mother, and I never heard from her again! No loss.

I always say - a friend loves you even if you're crazy!

Beachwalker

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am using my fading time to get to know new people and recontact some friends who have been DF'd / DA.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i had no contact with my jw 'friends' during my leaving process, and none after. they were only 'friends' on a hire purchase basis and once the installments stopped they were repossessed.

• alanv
    alanv

I had a really good friend who wrote to me asking why I no longer associate. It was a very heartfelt letter. I replied telling her exactly why I left and said I hope we can remain friends. Needless to say I never heard from her again. It helped me realize that most witness friendships are totally dependant on never disagreeing with the org. Same with any love shown to you it is a totally conditional love.

• nelly136
    nelly136

once i'd found real friends and had a proper comparison, it finally occurred to me that i had only ever had a jw implanted idea of 'real friends'.

what i'd actually left behind were acquaintances.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

well let's see - out of all my friends I had as a JW.....hmmm.....ZERO remained my friend. All of them told me that I was apostate and that was that - nothing more to do with me, I was dead to them. *shrug* I knew what I'd lose if I left the faith - it was very hard in the beginning and I would feel so very alone that it would physically ache in my chest.

I'm good now.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

LouBelle I know that ache in the chest feeling very well. I was dropped like a hot potato by friends (even my so called 'best friend') and since January this year have been totally shunned by my family. The pain of the unfairness, injustice and stupidity of it all, not to mention the loneliness, does make you ache inside.

40 years of friendship and family wiped out just like that. Conditional love and friendship at it's best!

Anyway I am slowly making new 'real' friends and finding a new 'tribe' to be part of.

Hopscotch

PS - I'm not da'd or df'd, just dared to question then fade

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

I have not been to a meeting for a few months now but whenever I see a Witness they are courteous enough and small-talk is generally made. Some members of my family have been treated rather shoddily this past year so I am using that as a cover to fade.

A good elder friend of mine stepped down a few years ago, married a non-Witness and moved far far away (she is now attending meetings though). Needless to say he was treated badly by many members of the congregation before he moved and people even made verbal jabs at him during the Watchtower studies. When he found out that I was not going to meetings, and that I had no intention of going back, he wrote me a long letter saying that he loved me and my family for coming to terms with his decisions in a non-judgemental way, that we were a true Christian family, that I was free to disagree with him and his advice and that it would not affect our friendship one bit.

As you can imagine, I was touched by this true friendship. I have not spoken to many about my disputes with regard to doctrine (of which there are many) and plan to keep it that way unless intolerably pressed. If it does come to me being outed as an apostate I don't know what he will do but I'm hoping that he will continue to display the same attitude (he was always a thinker rather than a follower and was never afraid to debate the rights and wrongs of the society's views with me).

It does appear that true friends can be found within the Witnesses.........I hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit