I must be missing something...

by stillin 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

I keep hearing this chatter regarding a new rule regarding the holding of your spouse's hand during a congregation prayer, which, I agree, would be ridiculous. But where did this rumor start, or was it just some free-lancing elder expressing his own opinion, which escalated to this ripple effect that I see here?

I haven't seen any less holding of hands at the KH I go to...

• teel
    teel

Here ya go, I think this was the first thread, November 15 WT study edition: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/182223/1/November-15-Watchtower-Study-Edition-discourages-showing-affection-to-your-spouse

Another gem from the same edition - article to be studied December 28 - January 3 (which most will miss lol coz of summer vacation) entitled "What do Your Prayers Say About You?" page 6 para 19 reads:

19 When we are being represented in public prayer, we need to display reverential "fear of God." (1 Pet 2:17) There may be a proper time and place for some actions that would be inappropriate at a Christian meeting. (Eccl 3:1) For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah. Out of deep respect for him, let us therefore "do all things for God's glory" and avoid conduct that could distract, shock or stumble anyone. - 1 Cor 10:31,32; 2 Cor 6:3.
  • troubled mind
    troubled mind

I think it has been totally blown out of porportion ! The article is talking about "the group " holding hands may be a stumbling block . The part about a couple is "EMBRACE" not holding hands ! I know what they mean , haven't you seen a newly married couple practically make-out during the prayer ....I have and it does not look respectful . That is what they are talking about not simply hoding hands .

Sheeez I really hate it when people take stuff and just push it to the limit of reasonableness....I had a freakin enough of it as a dub

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

This is a picture of an Apostate who has just told his parents that the

WT says they are not allowed to hold hands during the prayer.

• teel
    teel
    Sheeez I really hate it when people take stuff and just push it to the limit of reasonableness....I had a freakin enough of it as a dub

Maybe it's a custom people picked up as dub To be fair you are right, the article does mention: "Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands" and it's not forbidden. The thing is dubs do tend to go to extremes when given an advice, especially elders, so I can see people getting counseled because they held their spouse's hands.

• kriptonian7
    kriptonian7

troubled mind, who makes out while praying? lol thats awesome.

and shouldnt the elders be concentrating on the prayer at hand rather than monitoring people while its going on?

Holding hands, putting your arm around your loved ones (in a repsectful way of course) should never be frowned upon.

• kriptonian7
    kriptonian7

i just read it..

"This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs.

meaning you might scare away new recruits

" Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. "

Stumbled? By what?

"They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah. "

Oh stumbled by love...got it. Agape love? Give me a break

"Out of deep respect for him, let us therefore "do all things for God's glory" and avoid conduct that could distract, shock or stumble anyone. - 1 Cor 10:31,32; 2 Cor 6:3."

I am more shocked by this article than i would seeing someone hold hands or be in each other's arms while praying. My grandparents hold hands when they pray before every meal and to be completely honest with you, it weirds me out. Crap, they will not inhearit the kingdom because they stumbled me by holding hands while praying.

lets just take something and run with it and see where it takes us while were at it. Ok no breathing while praying..if youre breathing you are worrying about your mortality and thus not focusing on jehovah and his praise. SO, form now on all prayer must be done while holding ones breath.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It really is NOT saying that married couples can not hold hands. It is discouraging embracing and communial hand holding / linking arms. I am not saying I agree with the direction, but too many people on here are saying that married couples are being stopped from holding hands during the prayer when they are not!

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Didn't someone post the picture that went along with that article?

From what I remember it showed them standing with their hands together or holding their bible, book-bag ect. Not one of the couples holding hands discretely. In my experience as a JW a picture is worth a thousand words. *wink*

• truthseekeriam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit