those stupid sister talks!

by highdose 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I always hated the stupid names that we had to use during our talks- "Sister Faithful" or "Sister Modest"

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

what is your talk on AE? Must be difficult doing it without a CD and not having too many of the older bound volumes, eh?

What points are you working on? How much time are you allowed for your talk?

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Most of the sisters we had in the congregation I grew up in were far from stupid. But boy could they talk!!!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I have another talk coming up out of the "Learn from the Great Teacher" book. "How To Make God Happy". I hope I can make it into a conversation two adult women would have. It's hard finding a unique setting.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I sat through 3 of these TMS meetings just before I left.... I was really taken aback by how restricted the sisters were in what they were or were not alloud to do in the school- I was also a bit embarassed for clapping when no one else did on my first night at the TMS (they forget tell me you only do that for the brother or sisters first talk weird way to show support and encouragement for a young boy hey?? I thought he did great pronouncing all of those names)

It was a real eye opener to see first hand exactly how dubs are trained in the art of assimilation! the only thing that still bugs me about it all, is all of it! It's just FAKE..... and so demeaning for the kids to pushed up infront of everyone to do their reading without even a round of applause for being so brave....... I could never do that to my boys..... CULT!!!!!!!!!!!

• chickpea
    chickpea

we never had to use weird names
    like "sister modest" in the #3 talks
    that is sooooooooo sad!!

(but boy did we have fun assigning
    names like "brother easily-pissed"
    or "sister hawk-a-loogie")

guess we werent so spiritual after all!

• teel
    teel
    I especially love how the congregation frown at you when you end the talk with the householder not accepting your literature. LMAO

The majority of the sister-talks felt so incredibly fake. I told my wife numerous times (when I was a "faithful" too) to make it more life-like. I have to admit she tried to do her part to be just like she would answer in real life, but the setup restrained her so much the result was almost always a fake "spiritual masturbation". There's no point in training that way, it just never happens like that in real life!

I remember one time it was like a breeze of fresh air when in a presentation on how to present the new magazines an older "houseowner" sister kept interrupting the "JW" sister with lines that one actually meets in FS, like "but tell me, how much do you get paid for this work?"; in the end she didn't took the magazine. Not sure if it was her initiative or they rehearsed it that way, but it was so unexpected and lifelike that everyone laughed heartily.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I always hated giving talks. I don't mind public speaking at all, in fact, I do it as a profession...but giving talks..couldn't stand it! Many years back I opted to just be a householder, but in the end, I just refused those too. Don't have the desire to be stressed out preparing a talk.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

For reasons I don't remember, my mother used to occasionally rope me in to being the store dummy for her 'demonstrations'. Probably something to do with a lack of suitable victims in our territory, but not always, as it did happen in civilised countries as well.

I would have to nod/whatever after she had said something, but my mind had always wandered by the time she got around to my line. I was never going to be a famous actor.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Highdose!

Belated welcome to JWN.

Well, I've never seen this aspect of "sister talks" ever posted:

At Bethel we had a family theocratic ministry school. A brother often [always? - I cannot recall.] acted as householder. The bro assigned to be my "householder" I didn't even know. He was shy and very quiet. I'm not. In any event, it was an ordeal. I was really uncomfortable on that account and, too, because it was an unnatural scenario, given the typical roles played out in the local congregations.

Thought you'd like to hear the other side ...

Thanks,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit