We Want You Back

by Dune 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

So i'm sitting at my desk at work when my cell phone rings. I've been faded for over 3 years now and i'm way beyond the point where I didn't answer my phone and dreaded any knocks on my door.

Anyway, I answer and it's an Elder from my old congregation. He went on about how he was pretty much going down his list of names of inactive/ and was wondering if he and another elder could come by for a visit. He then went on this spiel about how other inactives and disfellowshipped ones were rethinking their lives due to the economic downturn and surely I was being effected by it too. I tell him, that I appreciate him calling me , but i've actually been doing pretty well during this economy (*knock on wood*) and there was no real need for a 'sheperding call' since it wouldn't accomplish anything.

After a minute or two of idle chit chat about what he's been up to (lost his job and is now a full-time pioneer) , we say our goodbyes and hang up.

Its interesting, I hope i never reach the point where i'm so down and out that I go back to the religion so I have them for social support.

• pat1060
    pat1060

HI,I feel that is why I went back after 13 years of being away.I felt a little down and missed "the truth",now after 2 years being back I'm going to fade away.Because of so many changes and a life style I'm no longer able to fell a part of.The social support isn't there...

• chickpea
    chickpea

full time pioneering.... there is a mood-boosting idea

if you genuinely think you would be drawn back into
    the cult-mind due to some external circumstance, i
    heartily suggest you make sure you have a dependable
    social network of non-JWs established, making yourself
    an integral component by BEING the support to others
    that you would want for yourself....

jesus tap-dancing christ, mate!
    what on earth would make JWs,
    one of THE most righteous overmuch
    collective of fair weather friends on
    the planet, seem like a refuge during
    difficult times?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Go back for social support? What kind of support do you get from those idiots?

I'd rather be a homeless hobo than go back to that crap. And believe me, I'd be a homeless hobo even if I was in that crap.

• VIII
    VIII

I have been getting calls and e-mails from my Mom offering an "in-home bible study" and to shepard me back. I always say I am too busy, I already know what I need to know and that I'm just not interested. It depends on the level of pressure she is putting on me.

She puts on her best "I'm here for you. Jehovah really wants you and cares for you voice".

After my denial, her normal *MOM* voice comes out and she gets snippy. She won't give me a Return Visitâ„¢ for a week or two. I have to call her if I want to talk.

• Dune
    Dune

Awesome replies.

The religion provides an entire social construct where a person is initially loved bombed and is made to feel like this is 'home'.

Knowing what i know now, there is no way i'm going back to the religion, but things happen to people (deaths in the family, terminal illness, etc) which leaves a void that needs to be filled and like it or not, JW's (and most other religions) have very effective methods of filling that void.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i'd been out a few years before someone tipped them off about my then recent divorce, so they hot footed it round as i might be feeling vulnerable and want to go back.

vulnerable heh!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

People returning to the hall because of the economy? If that isn't a prety superficial reason to get religious, i don't know what is. "I need God in my life because i can't pay the bills!"

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

economic downturn = pioneering / when you get laid off and can collect unemployment check.

these jokers don't understand that if they wait till the end of the benefits to start looking for a job..... good luck!

leeches of society

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

JW's prey on people who have deaths in the family, they are now preying on people who are down on their luck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit