Whatever has happened about swine flu?

by badboy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I live in the mid-west ,Illinois , and there have been several school closings here and close by because absent rate was over 20% because of the H1N1 flu .

• Gopher
    Gopher

Young kids are filling up the hospitals, from the news report I saw today on TV. If you ask the nurses you wouldn't hear them say it's just media hype.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

We're over run with it here in NE Ohio.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Some of you may find this to be interesting. Here's a sample. . .

Claim 4: "A flu vaccine can give you the flu... or worse."

The H1N1 vaccine comes in two forms; inactivated & live attenuated. It is impossible for the inactivated form of the vaccine to cause infection since the virus particles are dead. The live attenuated form used for the Monovalent Nasal-Spray Flu Vaccine ("FluMist"), contains weakened H1N1 virus. The risk of infection is extremely small from the nasal spray, and there are guidelines from the CDC on who should & shouldn't get the live attenuated form.

When you hear stories about how someone has come down with the Flu after getting a Flu shot, they more than likely were exposed to the Flu before being vaccinated. It takes two weeks for a person's body to build up immunity to the virus after being vaccinated, so if you were infected before you got the shot, you can still get sick.

One of the big arguments made by those against H1N1 vaccination is the risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome (a rare disorder in which a person’s own immune system damages the nerve cells, causing muscle weakness and sometimes paralysis), which was claimed to be a side-effect of the 1976 vaccine. While the CDC is monitoring this year's vaccine for any anomalies, it's important to keep in mind that the 1976 incidence of Guillain-Barré was barely higher than the normal rate, and you would still have a better chance of dying from a lightning strike, an airplane crash, or falling down than contracting Guillain-Barré.

From the CDC:

In 1976, there was a small risk of GBS following influenza (swine flu) vaccination (approximately 1 additional case per 100,000 people who received the swine flu vaccine). That number of GBS cases was slightly higher than the background rate for GBS. Since then, numerous studies have been done to evaluate if other flu vaccines were associated with GBS. In most studies, no association was found, but two studies suggested that approximately 1 additional person out of 1 million vaccinated people may be at risk for GBS associated with the seasonal influenza vaccine. It is important to keep in mind that severe illness and possible death can be associated with influenza, and vaccination is the best way to prevent influenza infection and its complications.

And of course, there is "post hoc ergo propter hoc." In the week after getting a vaccine, there are a fair amount of people that will be in car accidents. However, no logical person is going to argue that vaccines cause car accidents.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/10/18/12457/611

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

The community health nurse I take my kids to to get their usual immunisations is trying to talk me into haveing the vaccine- I am still telling her no way- TY for the info leavingwt

• yknot
    yknot

It is running rampant in my area.....

As I see it by the weeks end my kids are likely to be on Tamiflu or have been given the vaccine......

• Robdar
    Robdar

We are still having reports of it here in the midwest USA. The last guy in our area reported to die from the swine flue was said to have underlying health problems. His wife contacted the local news agencies and said the report was not true--her husband was very healthy, with no underlying medical problems when he contracted the flu and then died.

• badboy
    badboy

BTTTT

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Flu Myths & Realities

http://www.flu.gov/myths/index.html

also

From Michael Shermer's Open Letter to Bill Maher. . .

Vaccination is one of science’s greatest discoveries. It is with considerable irony, then, that as a full-throated opponent of the nonsense that calls itself Intelligent Design, your anti-vaccination stance makes you something of an anti-evolutionist. Since you have been so vocal in your defense of the theory of evolution, I implore you to be consistent in your support of the theory across all domains and to please reconsider your position on vaccinations. It was not unreasonable to be a vaccination skeptic in the 1880s, which the co-discovered of natural selection—Alfred Russel Wallace—was, but we’ve learned a lot over the past century. Evolution explains why vaccinations work. Please stop denying evolution in this special case.

As well, Bill, your comments about not wanting to “trust the government” to inject us with a potentially deadly virus, along with many comments you have made about “big pharma” being in cahoots with the AMA and the CDC to keep us sick in the name of corporate profits is, in every way that matters, indistinguishable from 9/11 conspiracy mongering. Your brilliant line about how we know that the Bush administration did not orchestrate 9/11 (“because it worked”), applies here: the idea that dozens or hundreds pharmaceutical executives, AMA directors, CDC doctors, and corporate CEOs could pull off a conspiracy to keep us all sick in the name of money and power makes about as much sense as believing that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and their bureaucratic apparatchiks planted explosive devices in the World Trade Center and flew remote controlled planes into the buildings.
  • JWoods
    JWoods

I was talking with a Doctor at the Brazilian Grand Prix watch party we attended Sunday. He says that he thinks this media frenzy is completely inexplicable due to the fact that the virus H1N1 has been known for at least 2 years.

BTW Jensen Button is assured of the world driving championship in Formula One.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit