Whatever has happened about swine flu?

by badboy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Don't seem to have heard so much about it lately

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

I still hear it in the news EVERYDAY in the USA. Its all just Media Hype. I pay no attention to it.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

A resurgence of H1N1 is happening in North America. Fortunately it is the same strain and hasn't mutated into a more deadly virus.

Had two deaths last week in one area near me from H1N1. Both were in their teens with underlying medical conditions.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

It's hit our area hard in the Midwest, USA.One child in my sons' school system has tested positive for it, and a woman in the next county over just died from it (she had underlying health issues).They are assuming that all cases here at this time of year are h1n1, because it's not seasonal flu season yet. Schools south of us were closed Friday, and our school will close if the absence rate rises to 20% (it was at 10% and rising last count).My son had it last week, based on his symptoms (they are telling people with symptoms to stay home and only go to the doctor if there seem to be complications).He was moderately sick for five days-no more so than I've seen from seasonal flu in the past.My other son's girlfriend had it, also.

They have been recommending the vaccine big time in this area. Unfortunately, the flu arrived, and there has only been enough vaccine delivered here to give to health care workers. The next round goes to people at high risk, but they don't know when that round is coming in. I think half the population will have had the flu by the time they get the vaccine delivered. In the meantime, a lot of people are very anxious, because of all the media coverage, and the fact that there is no vaccine here yet.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Our clinic tests between 5-10 patients a week for swine flu.

On average, 1 will test positive.

If you have the flu, please stay home. There's nothing the Docs can do for the flu. I'm tired of everyone running to the doc everytime they get a cold or flu. Stay home and look after yourself and quit spreading it around.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm going to get the vaccine for the oink as soon as it's available for the general public just like I do for the regular flu, but I never go to the dr. for colds or flu. I just wait it out although I get sick BADLY and for a looooooong time. I figure that it's a virus and that time is the only thing that will help, besides the preventive measures.

• Gregor
    Gregor

All this time I thought they were talking about the "HiNi" virus! I've been extra vigilent to wash my heiney after shaking hands or opening a door! Was beginning to think they were using the term "sneeze" as a metaphor for "fart".

• Satanus
    Satanus

I read an article where some scientists believe that virii had a hand in evolution, ie that they exchange dna or change the dna in their hosts. It's a chance you might evolve;))

S

• trueblue
    trueblue

Hi badboy,

I wonder that it is possible that you haven't heard much about swine flu is because they changed the name to help prevent unjustified slaughtering of hogs.

Instead of calling it H1N1 they should call it JW-flu then maybe there would be justified swine slaughtering...

Just kidding

No I'm not

Okay I am lying

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1220597/Pregnant-girl-17-dies-catching-swine-flu.html

Friday's Daily Mail. maybe you just aren't watching/reading enough news badboy!

The number of swine flu deaths has topped 100 and serious illness from the disease is rising, the chief medical officer has warned.

In total, 106 lives have been claimed since the pandemic began...

The number of new cases of swine flu rose to 27,000 last week, up from 18,000 during the previous week.

But Sir Liam said the 'second surge' is causing fewer cases than anticipated after children went back to school.

He said: 'There is a further increase but the increase has not been anything like the doubling expected.'

However, the number of patients in hospital with the virus rose from 290 to 364 and the number in intensive care shot up from 47 to 74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit