Law of Attraction

by INTK 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

INTK

It's based on a premise that is based on a spiritual aspect. Since the wtdoesn't believe that people have/are spirits, therefore it is taboo. If god isn't doing it for people, then the demons are, according to wt dictates.

S

• nelly136
    nelly136

the books basically a mish mash of older stuff thats been chopped into a simplified format, from reading it there seems to be a slight element of underlying greed and a bit of leaning towards strong people who think positively dont get sick or can get better (although i gather theres disclaimers on that)

but if you want a bit of light reading and entertainment with tips on how to think positively and discard some negatives then its ok.

at the end of the day its just a book. (and not a very long one, you could probbly get through it in a long tea break)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Is this to be avoided by Brothers and Sisters or is it okay if you do practice it knowing that Jehovah did create the laws of the universe. I can't find anything in any past Watchtower or Awake articles. I do appreciate anyone comments.
    The Secret is based on the law of attraction which apparently is one of the Universal Laws. jehovah cretaed all including the Universe ans its laws. Why would he not want us to utilize what he has created.

I am not familiar with the book at all but it seems that your premise is not stabile. You are putting the WTS approval on the same level as Jehovah's approval. Those are two very different entities with completely different goals.

In the end, it's just a book. A book written by a person who is speaking to you through written rather and veralized words. If you enjoy reading it and find that it enhances your life and personal satisfaction with it and does not encourage you to harm other people, why not read it?

If your concern is WTS approval or possible stumbling of the congregation members, maybe the concern is more with those rules and less with the book itself.

My experience with WTS stand on non-jw literature is that, at best, it's frowned upon as it takes you away from personal study of society literature and bible reading. I have heard all non-jw literature referred to as bad (or questionable) association; reasonings of men rather than the reasonings of god.

The lack of respect and sometimes outright disdain of self-help books and programs is one of the things that initially got me to start pulling away from the organization - especially since the society did not have anything to offer itself to help improve personal situations other than more service and more personal study. I felt that their approach was unbalanced and that there are often very valid reasons to explore self-help offerings.

Maybe the best way to go is: Don't ask; Don't tell.

Well... you can tell us. We can keep secrets.

-Aude Sapere. (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

-Aude.

• karnage
    karnage

I've seen the movie or video "The Secret". I have to say that this is something that the Society will surely have an issue with anyone from the congregations to view or read. You can take away whatever you want from reading or viewing that information, but the one thing that you have to feel is freedom. No longer feeling the repression that the WTBS wants to keep you under is nothing short of pure freedom. Freedom of the mind to live to your true potential or to just feel good about yourself and your accomplishments are more than worth it.

I'll say this much, after looking at that video, I let go even more of my "witness indoctrinations" that were instilled in my since I was a toddler. God is a happy God... and he wants his people to be a happy people. Walking around with self confidence and pride is not something that the witnesses encourage.

• Terry
    Terry

Sigh.

I'd like somebody to distinguish between "wishful thinking" and the Law of Attraction.

Funny how easy it is to invent such a "Law".

The little book PRAYER OF JABEZ started the recent surge in Law of Attraction texts.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wilkinson describes how to pray Jabez's prayer:

The next morning, I prayed Jabez's prayer word for word. And the next. And the next. Thirty years later, I haven't stopped. If you were to ask me what sentence—other than my prayer for salvation—has revolutionized my life and ministry the most, I would tell you tell you that it was the cry of a gimper named Jabez, who is still remembered not for what he did, but for what he prayed—and for what happened next (p. 11).

I challenge you to make the Jabez prayer for blessing part of the daily fabric of your life. To do that, I encourage you to follow unwaveringly the plan outlined here for the next thirty days. By the end of that time, you'll be noticing significant changes in your life, and the prayer will be on its way to becoming a treasured, lifelong habit (p. 86). (Bold added.)

Wilkinson claims that if we'll just pray the prayer of Jabez, word-for-word, every day for a month, then we'll see God's power released in our lives.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Working, as I do, in the Religion section of a used bookstore I have a sort of paleography of religious trends before me.

A number of years ago there was an ANGEL craze. Everything was angels, angels, angels. Then, there was the LEFT BEHIND craze. Then, the Davinci Code craze.

As long as an idea makes money you'll see everybody and their pet goat jumping on the bandwagon until they kill it off.

Wishful Thinking only works if you disable your critical thinking skills and fully commit to Confirmation Bias.

Confirmation bias (or myside bias ) is a tendency for people to confirm their preconceptions or hypotheses, independently of whether or not they are true.
  • nancy drew
    nancy drew

the organiztion wants you to obey in everything because you are here asking the questions you are asking tells me theres brain activity in your head. thats good satisfy it. you don't have to make any permanent decisions at this time about truth consider yourself a person on a quest for knowledge. read whatever you want. what I do is I have three catagories in my head what I am pretty sure of, my I don't know information catagory, and my I decided this isn't right. the second catagory is very large and I just keep filling it up. Don't ask for permission it's your life and future and your responsible for it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

As a JW, the book 'The Secret' would be considered a 'worldly' book. All worldly things are to be avoided. Only WTS material is to be read. The practice of 'The Law of Attraction' would probably go under the category of 'Practising Spiritism' which is strictly forbidden by the WTS (although praying is pretty much along the same lines as practicing 'The Law of Attraction' but I doubt they would ever admit to it. You must pray the way the WTS tells you to pray).

edited to add: BTW, Welcome to JWN!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If the Law of Attraction was true, we'd be reading about it in this week's Watchtower Study.

BTS

• leec
    leec

How do you all know what this "law of attraction" is? Or this book "the Secret"? Never heard of any of it - it sounds like something from an infomercial.

• Life is now
    Life is now

There are various versions of how to use law of attraction ranging from simple formulas to books full of mumbo jumbo. Strip the law of attraction down to its bare bones and what you have is:

"YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW"

Some Christians apply this to DEEDS but law of attraction devotees apply it to THOUGHTS.

Does it work? Don't necessarily need any books or the Bible to show how to do that. Simply change thoughts and see what happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit