what is xmas dinner?

by highdose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

i've just realised i have no idea what i should be serving on 25/12!!

turkey? chicken? goose? ham? beef? and what goes with it?

help! i'm a total xmas virgin!

• nelly136
    nelly136

its basically a roast dinner with the extras you cant be arsed to make the rest of the year

doesnt matter what meat really.

pigs in blankets usually go down well as a trimming

cranberry sauce, bread sauce etc

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

What about asking the rest of the family? Aunties, uncles, extended family can help out with family traditions.

• carla
    carla

Make your own new food traditions! In our family we usually just had a huge turkey dinner for Thanksgiving in Nov. so we do something different for Christmas dinner which is usually beef or pork roast or tenderloin, mashed potatoes & gravy, veggie, rolls, some other side dish that someone brings and lots of great deserts! and Christmas cookies! The cookies must include ones mom has been making our entire lives or she will hear whinning about where are the x, y or z??!

• garyneal
    garyneal

For my family, Christmas dinner basically the same as Thanksgiving dinner (Turkey, Ham, Candied Yams, etc.) with some extras (one Christmas, my grandmother served KFC and its sides with the usual dinner items).

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

Our tradition for Christmas dinner is Prime Rib. But it really doesn't matter what you serve, because it all revolves around being with the people you are blessed to have in your life.

Ada

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

I second what Nelly said! Make things that are too difficult to usually make, and too expensive! We sometimes have prime rib like Ada, and we ALWAYS have crab legs, except for one year i think , when the cost was too outrageous, even for Christmas. have fun! CHeers, auntbee

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I always make a ham, cheese potatoes and vegetables for Christmas and Easter. It's not fancy, but it is filling and compliments appetizers like spinach vegetable dip and cheese balls. Dessert consists of pineapple crush cake for both holidays and Neiman Marcus cookies and pumpkin roll are added for Christmas. These are all extremely fattening foods, so they're limited to twice a year.

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

In my family for Christmas we have ham, pie, cranberry sauce, and a veggy and dip tray for watching the Cristmas Parade.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Back in the day, before the cult tore our family apart, we had turkey. But really, it's whatever you prefer.

I think it also depends on how many people you're going to feed. Since we used to have a fairly large gathering, the big turkey was the way to go for us. The fixin's were cooked green beans, carrots, corn, whipped creamed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, turkey gravy, and warmed rolls. Desert was usually a mix of some kind of pie (like apple, pumpkin, strawberry/rhubarb, cherry, lemon meringue), ice cream, and maybe a cake like chocolate cake or something fancy... once we had baked Alaska. The kitchen was always a mad house with several of us in there helping out. After that feast we'd be quite lethargic! I sure do miss those times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit