Why do people follow me on Twitter... even though I never tweet anything?

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

About six months ago I setup a Twitter account. I posted a few tweets here and there and then got bored of it and stopped.

Dispite the fact that I never tweet anything, every few days I get an email notice stating that another person has started following me.

Why? Can anyone think of any reason why people would want to follow someone wo never tweets?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I did the same thing. And I also got people following. I don't know them either.

Did you delete them, or will you allow them to continue to follow? I didn't bother deleting them, since I don't tweet anyway.

On a side note...I do follow my granddaughter that set up a twitter account called: Thatsso7thgrade ... she's pretty funny and in the 7th grade.

I also follow my shitmydadsays. He's funny too.

lisa

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Stalkers

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Some are companies, news outlets, or other such accounts that follow you in the hopes that you'll just follow them back.

There are some people, too, that just try to follow as many people as possible.

I got bored with Twitter after about 3 minutes of use.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

There are many, many Spambots on Twitter. Most new "Followers" are simply spam. Often, the profile photo will give it away. (Revealing clothing/suggestive poses are popular on Spambot profiles.)

If you spend 30 seconds or so examing the profile of a new follower, you can generally tell if it's spam or not.

If they're not spam, they may be a person who has added you because of your geographical location. This would allow them to receive tweets from people nearby, etc.

You can "protect" your tweets, allowing only those you give permission to to receive them.

• DJK
    DJK

I'm on twitter and I don't tweet often. I don't see why the site is so popular. Anyone can follow me if they want. I have seven followers and most are from this forum.

My last tweet; "Latest: I hope my life isn't equal to the one sentence that fits into this space. Is this all there is?"

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

To get the full Twitter experience, try one of the Twitter applications. The experience is larger than the website. The real power is the information.

On the iPhone/iPod Touch, Tweetie and Twitteriffic are very nice. From your desktop, Tweetdeckis very good.

I enjoy watching sports or television and following live tweets pertaining to what I'm watching. Also, during breaking news events or other live events, Twitter can provide a wealth of details and perspectives.

It allows you to answer the question, "I wonder what folks think about _____________ ?"

The applications offer a live list of "Trending" topics. This lets you know what's the hot topic of the moment.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I think 99% of the people using Twitter use it for the most mundane purposes, while the other 1% actually have something worth following, like civil unrest in their homeland.

The more time I spend in or around "social networking" sites, the more I relize they are anything but. More like "social devaluing" sites. You want social activities and meaning in your life? Get out in the real fucking world. Ironically, the people who have the most to say on Twitter or Facebook are those actually doing stuff in the real world.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Anticipation.

-Aude.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

I thought it was because he looked like a lil rascal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit