As A JW Did You Care About Old JW History, Old Light & Flip Flops?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I used to look at the old stuff as info that the Witnesses were progressively understanding. I didn't hold it against the Witnesses if they changed understandings because after all the 'light was getting brighter and brighter".

As time went on, it did start effecting me. There were too many things I'd let slide by when I was younger that I just couldn't ignore any longer. I don't exactly know what made me change in my thinking, all I know is that there's no going back ever again.

Can you relate??

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It didn't really affect me until I started reading "apostate" web sites, which prompted me to do some research. This helped me see that it was more than "light getting brighter". It was a deliberate, progressive pattern of deception and cover-ups.

W

• designs
    designs

The Revisionist history was an issue. Knowing the actual history of the Bible Students and the Witnesses (having lived it) allowed me the mental exist.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I didn't while I was younger, but as I got older I couldn't accept it anymore. I couldn't accept that "truth" could change, for a long time I just ignored it, but eventually I had to start looking, and here I am.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I was always curioius WHY things would change...if God is 'solid' and constant - and JWs represent him - then things would be SOLID and CONSTANT within that religion. That always threw me off. And maybe I'm retarded, but all the Watchtower articles with dates....UGH!!!!!!! I always tuned out during those because I felt like they were just spewing figures to confuse everyone.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I know that in the case of quite a few already sub-consciously on their way out - "new light" was actually hoped for, in the hope that maybe things might change for the better.

They were soon disillusioned.

• minimus
    minimus

I think there can come a time unbeknownst to us when we just "get it". We just "know" it's bullcrap.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

One of the triggers for me was the official "we didn't say that about 1975." I was growing up and being raised a witness during that period. I know what what I read and heard. We belonged to a down-to-earth congregation and a majority of the adults took what was said with a wait and see attitude but there were some that had the opinion that it was game over in 1975. What a slap in the face to blame it on the rank and file for running ahead of the organization after the date came and went. That was the time when I decided to go to college even though it was strongly discouraged in the literature and talks. Step 1 in the waking process.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Can you relate??

I think there can come a time unbeknownst to us when we just "get it". We just "know" it's bullcrap.

Your initial post and that last one- WE ARE MIND TWINS, MIN. We are exactly alike on this.
    Doctrine was important, history and the flip flops were what totally made me open my mind up.
    At first, I excused it as the light getting brighter, but that only stretches so far.

OTWO and Minimus

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

It gave me doubts certainly. The one I couldn't get over was blood fractions being ok but transfusions were still banned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit