Ancient International Standard of Measurement - The Inch

by hotspur 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• hotspur
    hotspur

All this kerfuffle over the year 607 threw up an interesting side issue for me.

Some posts relate to the WTS use of Chronology derived from CTRussell's "Divine Plan of the Ages" and "Studies in the Scriptures". Within those pages are found some explanations of how the years 1874 and, later, 1914 were 'decided'

It seems there was a remeasuring of a particular tunnel within the Great Pyramid of Gizeh which was, subsequently, found to be 40 inches longer. Applying a rule of Russell's (I suppose) 1 inch equals a year then 1874 became 1914! Simple.....

What if Russel was European? Does that mean 1 year = 25.4mm? Or would we have have change the chronology by a factor of 25.4 years? I'm so amazed that all those years ago the Egyptians were tricked into tacitly throwing away their cubits and then to be forced into using Inches!

I apologize for not fully relating all the facts but it's all here on JWN if you want to look yourself. I also found someone had the same thought as me 4 years ago! Worth resurrecting though I think.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

If russell had been a Pitcairn Islander(the world would not have listened), I wouldn't be here on this site today.

If only we could turn backtime LOL

Sorry I mean no disrespect and find your posting very interesting, I have never really thought much about wat russell promoted or believed, and yet much of it is an intigrale part of the JW doctrine

• wobble
    wobble

That is a huge problem for pyramidology that you have posed Harry Hotspur,

Of course the Egyptians must have been inspired by God to build in inches, of which they had never heard, just for the benefit of Piattzi-Smythe and Chas Russell and other assorted nutters. I can understand their interest in all things Egyptian, the Hiero-glyphs had only been de-ciphered a couple of decades before Chazzer was born, but the conclusions they drew about the Great Pyramid. were bonkers.

On a similar note, when I was much younger and a Dub, I worked out that if the so called prophetic years were 360 days long, the end of the G.Times would have been nearly 38 years short of 1914. So I asked ,how do we know what length each of the 2520 years was, a lunar year, a solar year, an amalgam or perhaps a Babylonian year ? I asked this and several other awkward questions about the interpretation of Daniel , and did not get an answer from the whole B.O.E

I should have woken up then, but strangely did not.

Love

Wobble

• hotspur
    hotspur

Ha ha!

Wobble .... funny you say that. I've just remembered three 'bros' discussing the difference between the year count we have now (2009) and the Jewish reckoning of years. And how this may affect the 1975 prophecy! Of course it was never thought about by the GB... this was befoe the Elder arrangement.... should've wised up myself then - only 38 years ago.

Finallysomepride - didn't think your were being disrespectful at all. It was ne of those musings that crosses my consciousness sometimes...thought I'd share it.

• badboy
    badboy

tHIS FALLACY is a bit like what I read somewhere about mons badonicus,mons supposedly meaningmountain,the defination o a mountain is modern,i believe

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

hotspur,

Just to clarify, the Pyramid Inch is a little longer than the Imperial Inch that we use in the US today.

I'm surprised that "scholar JW" hasn't been here to point out this fine detail of pyramidology. It really is a vital part of the 607BE-1914AD argument started by C.T. Russell. Perhaps his 4th most notable teaching.

B the X

• glenster
    glenster

What I have on it is in the section on Pyramidology (use Edit > Find) at the
    next link. The section includes a picture of Russell in a derby with a few
    others by the pyramid about 1/5th down the page.
    http://www.freewebs.com/glenster1/gtjbrooklyn1a.htm

• trueblue
    trueblue

A little off the beatin path, but you might like it...

Coins found bearing the name of Joseph http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=111091

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is all good stuff for demonstrating that that origins of the J W religion lie in man made ideas and error, rather than "Spirit direction" ...but it is light years away from the modern J W teaching.. I doubt if a young believer would have heard much about The Pyramid beliefs or would be impressed with these arguments.

For example, if you found out that your political party had, in the nineteenth century supported ideas that are plainly wrong today, would you be bothered? That is, I am afraid, how many of the flock view it even erroneously.

BTW I checked out trueblue's link..Very interesting. My first thought was that it seemed too good to be true and it seems that others feel the same way

http://www.christianexaminer.com/Articles/Articles%20Oct09/Art_Oct09_21.html

But it would be massive if it were proven

• hotspur
    hotspur

Glenster - interesting stuff especially laid out like that.

B the xB - never realised that ~almost like the gallon, which dictates your 10 gallon hats a lot smaller than UK ones. Texans aint gonna like that!

BB - sadly you're quite right. The youngsters don't care. Unfortunately, I found your analogy a bit off. I could agree up to a point but the whole foundation of 1914 is wrapped around CTR's appraisal of the Pyramid. That year has become pivotal to the whole JW doctrine. Sadly, many will ignore the fundamental reasoning of CTR because it's "old light". But, that "old light" gave them what they use today which is quite dissimilar to a political party's history which would have been repealed. Or, perhaps, I misunderstand you.

Badboy - I'm afraid you've got me at a loss.

Why are most of the usernames and posters of this thread defined by the use a double 'B'? Must be some sort of sign.... LoL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit