Musings of a manic mind

by paul from cleveland 23 Replies latest jw friends

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

If time is infinite, how can we be alive now? Wouldn’t everything that can happen have happened already? Given an infinite amount of time, wouldn’t the sun have burned out and the universe reached the ultimate state of entropy? However long that takes wouldn’t that amount of time have passed already? Given that, if we’re still alive now, does that mean that this is the second time around? (Perhaps the millionth?) All the chance events that brought us to our existence today obviously happened. Couldn’t they, given an eternal amount of time, happen again? (And again and again and again?) Are we doomed to live this same life over and over?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is too depressing to contemplate infinity. I gave up thinking about it a long time ago.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Musings of a manic mind

:If time is infinite, how can we be alive now?

Does not follow.

:Wouldn’t everything that can happen have happened already?

Does not follow if you are assuming it should follow from your fist assertion, which was absurd.

:Given an infinite amount of time, wouldn’t the sun have burned out and the universe reached the ultimate state of entropy?

You are mixing present and future tenses here. I smell some serious drugs in your life.

:However long that takes wouldn’t that amount of time have passed already?

Non sequitur. More drug suspicion.

:Given that, if we’re still alive now, does that mean that this is the second time around? (Perhaps the millionth?)

Does it? It doesn't follow that if "we're still alive now" that means anything more than simply, "we're still alive now." You are trying to make into something of perhaps cosmic significance.

:All the chance events that brought us to our existence today obviously happened. Couldn’t they, given an eternal amount of time, happen again? (And again and again and again?) Are we doomed to live this same life over and over?

I certainly hope you do live this same life over and over. Until you get some common sense, that is. Then maybe you can move forward.

Cheers.

Farkel, Musings of a Rational Mind CLASS

• Out at Last!
  • Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

Watching too many Star Trek reruns are ya???

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

How about chillin to a few subjects?

• Black Sheep
  • bohm
    bohm

Well, that the universe show all signs of rapidly developing from one state to a radically different one (the expansion) is they key observation that led to the Big Bang theory. It is also why people believe a finite amount of time has passed, at least with respect to the space-time that makes up our universe.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I think you are confusing time and space as mental/cognitive categories (which are infinite but do not "exist," just like numbers or geometrical figures in se)and space-time as physical reality...

Cf. a very similar thread not long ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/182676/1/Creation-struggling

• Heaven
    Heaven

I need infinity to do all the things I want to do... over and over again... like this:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit