Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Use the Term "Manmade Religions"?

by Cold Steel 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Over the years, and just a few weeks ago as a matter of fact, I've anwered the door to find Jehovah's Witnesses standing there. In my discussions with them, they've usually mentioned "manmade religions" and Armegeddon. Having looked into their religion somewhat, and more so lately, I have to say that the entire movement seems to be manmade and, if not, I certainly don't know where, or how, God could have had a hand in it.

What is there in the way their church was formed that would make it formed, created or established by God? How, exactly, did God make His ineffable will be known? Perhaps I missed the New Testament scripture that said, "Behold, it shall come to pass that in the last days, I will establish my will and my kingdom through a publishing company. And I will speak through those publishers and make my will known unto them; and behold, if the sons of men hearken not unto the board of directors thereof, I will arise to smite terribly the earth."

As far as I can tell, Charles T. Russell, "Judge" Joseph Rutherford, Nathan Knorr nor anyone else in the organization has seen or heard from God in any way, shape or form. Frederick Franz also hasn't produced any hotline to heaven, either.

So by it's own definition, wouldn't that make the whole Watchtower thing a manmade religion? And if not, why not?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Hey Cold, For one JWs believe they are the true Christians, therefore their religion was established by Christ. They also claim to be the Witnesses of Jehovah, and since the first Jehova witness was Jesus they are in direct line. They claim there is always a Jehovah witness on earth. Of course they can not support that theory.

Since any other religion is false therefore created by man because they werent created by God. But of course non of them are aware that their religion was created by CTR they think he was only an intermediary.

Oh well. But you could ask them next time they know at your door and stomp them. most likely they wont be able to prove it and they will say they will come back with the answer shortly.

• nykid
    nykid

All religions are manmade.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

What better way to cover up that you just farted than to start holding your nose, waving your hand and looking at the guy who just walked by?

• watson
    watson

Well, in 1919....

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

The Watchtower Society's own literature says in the Watchtower,December 1st,1991 "A religion that tells lies can not be true." They are talking about themself when they say that. That organization is run by Hypocrites and liers. They are so very easy to prove wrong.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It is my opinion that the Governing Body has been around their own crap so long that they can't recognize their own stench.

I forgot about "manmade religions". Just another slogan from a cult most people barely raise an eyebrow too....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All the cults in the family were manmade cults. The witlesses are among the survivors in the Wild West, where something like 100 cults started. Most died out. The witlesses were formed in an attempt to settle the argument as to when the end was coming, and they originally settled on 1874.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

COnsidering that the JW's have NO lineage back to the original apostles or Christ, if there is a manmade religion, it is theirs.

Made by Chuck Russell and his muchachos !

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Seems to me that the claims of other religions does come into play.

William Miller based his beliefs on the Bible. So did Roger Williams, Alexander Campbell and Charles Taze Russell, to name just three.

Moses used miracles and established his legitimacy through pillars of fire, plagues, thunder and fire. Jesus is said to have established his legitimacy through the scriptures and through miracles and witnesses. Muhammad claimed to see an angel and have revelations. Joseph Smith produced the Book of Mormon, also was said to have healed the sick, had angelic revelations. Ellen G. White was said to have had revelations and visions throughout her life and Herbert W. Armstrong also claimed inspiration and divine revelation. Thus, the followers of these religions, or sects, could be argued not to be manmade at all, but were done through the instrumentality of God.

Of course we're talking claims here.

But now comes Charles T. Russell. No revelations. No visions. No divine guidance of note. Just a Bible student.

Even though he was one of a long string of Jehovah's Witnesses, who appointed him the head of the organization? Who ordained him? How was he called to the ministry? Who was the leader of the church before Charles T? If the church existed before him, well, who was running the show?

Let's say I decided to start a religious group that had every single tenent of belief as the Witnesses do today. Let's say I believed exactly as they do. Would my church be just as legitimate as theirs? No, they would say, for Jehovah has but one church on the Earth. Fine, I reply, but where is that church and how do I know? If I lived in 1598, where would I find a Kingdom Hall? Where would I find Jehovah's organization on Earth? There is no recorded history showing that such a group ever existed. No one had those beliefs. And if they did, who was the leader? Was he self-appointed, like Charles Taze Russell, or did God choose him?

One website that advocates Russell's ministry states: "Russell saw in the scriptures and wrote about have come to pass with remarkable accuracy. Does this prove him to be an inspired prophet? By no means! No one has been inspired of God since the days of the apostles." Hmmm. Well, if no one has been inspired of God since those early days, then that means that Russell was not inspired, and as such must be considered as a blind leader of the blind. It also means that the leadership of the Watchtower Society today also must be bereft of inspiration and guidance.

So what would be the consequence of tearing up one's weekly records? Or refusing to answer the summons of the church? For the church cannot exist without inspiration and prophecy, for one man's theology is no better than another's.

That's what I mean "manmade."

If the Jehovah's Witnesses is not a manmade religion, then what is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit