This is political and not jw related but thought it was important enough to share

by cawshun 16 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks
    with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

Maybe you should read your own posts.

The entire point here, is that The American Flag was not being attacked as indicated by Fox, Rush and the gang. They merely restricted flags in common areas. Obviously cars are private property, and this is where the woman made an error. If you read a couple of articles on the subject, it appears that at some point they had trouble over the display of such flags. If you can imagine someone displaying a, say, "Muslim" flag, do you not see how that might cause trouble? What can you as the owner/manager do? You can't legally say you can display the flag of your choice, but you can't. Even if it is the American Flag.

Cawshun, I'll have you know I display my American Flag on a regular basis and try to observe the etiquette of said.

Jeff, I could ask the same of you, if this had been a sports team flag, would there be this media attention? Because ultimately, the rules of the complex include all such flags, and this could just as easily have been a Cowboys flag.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The United States of America is not a sports team.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:The complex (privately owned) has the right to make whatever rules they want to for their property.

Who said that shit? Can they make a rule "for their property" that people lose all of their Constitutional Rights by being on that property? No, they cannot.

The statement falls. "Whatever rules they want for their property" are still subordinate to the highest rule of law in this land. And that is the United States Constitution. Any rules they make that violate the US Constitution are not only not enforceable, they are illegal.

I would love to see the Supreme Court decide a case where some dipshit apartment manager said Americans couldn't display American flags on their property. This is a simple first Amendment issue and any dipshit apartment manager will get creamed in any court, even a wacko liberal one.

I'm ashamed that too many young people don't even know that simple fact today.

Farkel

• cawshun
    cawshun

LTWT, thank you for your back up support. VIII, Thank you for showing the H.R.42. I wasn't aware of that.

Beks, I didn't mention you, I said those so offended, meaning those that complained to the LL about the flag, or anyone in this Country offended by our flag. I'm happy you display our Country's flag. I lost an uncle in WW.II, my dad served in WWII. My husband served in Viet Nam, My son served in the Gulf war. You bet I'm offended that someone would be offended by displayaing the AMERICAN FLAG.

And the news clip did say, people were "OFENDED" by the American Flag being Displayed.

• JWoods
    JWoods

News this morning had the complex manager admitting policy was a mistake and retracted it. Seems a number of other apartment residents put out American flags. Seems also that the actual owners had a little talk with this person.

Note that the policy even stated that you could not have one on your own car.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    rules they want to for their property.

Are you telling me that they can't make rules regarding common areas??? I lived in a complex that would not allow us to change the window coverings. So they would all appear uniform from the street. You can't work on a car in your driveway, have too much junk on your porch, etc. etc.

Cawshun, I have read several articles, I never saw anything that said someone was offended by the American flag? What I did see, is that they had problems from a display of some sort and thus restricted displaying any flags.

Jeff, the rule was flags. Only the media is turning into a US Flags issue.

Frankly, I feel so damn sorry for this woman. She is a new manager, misunderstood "the property" to include driveways, and is now getting treated like a criminal. Even though she has apologized and the problem was addressed (haven't any of you ever had disputes with landlords or misunderstandings with other people that were resolved?), some bike club that heard the story on Rush has decided to protest anyway. Seriously, what do you honestly think the motivation of this woman was? I fully expect we will here that this poor woman is either fired or quits.

• JeffT
    JeffT

It's about the American flag because the manager made it about the American flag.

If they don't like flags in the common areas they need to take down their own.

http://www.city-data.com/businesses/838181808-oaks-apartment-albany-or.html

She is a new manager, misunderstood "the property" to include driveways

I've worked in multi-family housing (mostly as an accountant) for the last twenty-five years. This doesn't cut it. She is dealing with the public and should be a professional. People like this give my industry a bad name. Would you say something like that if she was refusing to rent to Hispanics or Gays? Or Democrats? I can't find out more about the project, but from the picture it looks fairly large. It has 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units, so it is not some little place. She should know how to do her job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit