This is political and not jw related but thought it was important enough to share

by cawshun 16 Replies latest jw friends

• cawshun
    cawshun

I caught this on the news this morning and thought it would be good to share it with other Americans.

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=011008&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=10662271&referralPlaylistId=playlist

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

At first glance, it sounds like a clear 1st Amendment violation, on the part of the landlord.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Actually, if you look into it a bit, it's just a tempest in a teapot. A non issue. Fox News's favorite kind. The complex (privately owned) has the right to make whatever rules they want to for their property.

Frankly, it sounds to me like there was trouble previously over other types of flags being flown, so rather than say you can't display an xyz flag, they are saying you can't display flags of any kind.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The complex (privately owned) has the right to make whatever rules they want to for their property.

Oh really?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Doesn't the story mention a bumper sticker? It would be a stretch to think the landlord could regulate the bumper sticker you place onto your car, unless you AGREED to such restrictions when signing a lease, etc.

But, certainly, landlords cannot make whatever rules they'd like.

Example: Landlord tries to prevent you from entertaining guests of a certain nationality. Or, landlord attempts to restrict you from viewing R-rated movies. There are limits to what can be imposed upon tenants.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

UPDATE: The apartment manager found her copy of the Constitution. No word on whether she's still searching for her Common Sense.

Apartment Manager Rescinds Flag Ban on Vehicles

Holcomb said today she was reversing herself not because of any pressure to do so. Rather, "I had a conversation with Emily Cedarleaf of the Multi-Family Housing Council of Oregon, who said the policy was not legal," she said.
    Cedarleaf, of Salem, who draws up and screens generic tenant contracts, said last week she had never heard of anyone trying to regulate what can be on a car in a parking lot.

http://www.democratherald.com/news/local/article_eb39642c-b8e3-11de-a474-001cc4c002e0.html

• VIII
    VIII

H.R. 42: The Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005

Signed into law in 2006

Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 - States that a condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent an association member from displaying the U.S. flag on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use. States that nothing in this Act shall be considered to permit any display or use that is inconsistent with: (1) federal law or any rule or custom pertaining to the proper display or use of the flag; or (2) any reasonable restriction pertaining to the time, place, or manner of displaying the flag necessary to protect a substantial interest of the condominium, cooperative, or residential real estate management association. Beks, perhaps you need to read a few more library books. Or the Internet.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Wheather this was on fox news or any news, this is America, why would it offend any person living in these United States, to have an American Flag.

If those so offended can't handle the American Flag that American's shed their blood for, then go live somewhere else... I enjoy my freedom that was fought for, that some gave their all, so that we may fly our flag. If a symbol of our Country offends you, then please feel free to leave this great Country. You won't be missed.

• White Dove
    White Dove

But the cars parked on their property are not their property at all. LL's have no right to dictate anything about the appearance of your vehicle. It's yours, not theirs.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Actually, if you look into it a bit, it's just a tempest in a teapot. A non issue. Fox News's favorite kind.

Is that what you'd say if it was Obama bumper stickers being banned? Funny how you think that people's rights are a tempest in a teapot, as long as it isn't your rights being stepped on I suspect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit