Antichrist: The archangel Michael

by illuminati 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• illuminati
    illuminati

Hi there,
    A long time ago, the Watchtower used to teach that the archangel Michael is the antichrist. Does anyone here know in which Watchtower edition they printed this information before changing Michael to Jesus Christ?

Thanx a mil!

<><

• Rev BII
    Rev BII

Sounds like a pile of beans like atleast 50% of the rest of stories non JW religious people tell about JW and their past, but it's evident that this thought of Michael that JW and nontrinitarian Adventists adapted is wrong. Michael is like Gabriel.

• siegswife
    siegswife

I don't know about that, but I know that they teach that, besides being the archangel Michael, Christ (salvation) is also the fallen angel Abaddon (the destroyer). That sounds like the anti Christ to me.

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

As I dont have the JW CD, I can't discover that myself either. But I do know what antichrist is all about. It is amazing all the crap that can be dreamed up and the tales that get started over UNTRANSLATED words that are just transposed into your language.

anti = ?
    christos = ?

Now translate those words into ENGLISH and you will see what it really means.

• TruthMonger
    TruthMonger

I have the '95 cd of WT Pubs, and I researched Michael. I only found what I was taught originally, that Jesus is the same archangel Michael. No mention of Jesus as angel of destruction or otherwise.

I hope that helped...

• siegswife
    siegswife

Their was a watchtower article written sometime in the 50's that said that Jesus is the angel Abaddon and that the JW's are the locusts. It also used to be in one of the reference books, but I don't remember which one. I'm positive of it because in the mid 80's there was a talk on this very subject in the TMS. I was intriqued because I had never heard of Jesus being referred to as this angel and always thought Abaddon represented Satan or another demonic force.

Anyway, I looked up the article referred to in the talk in my bound volumes and then went to the public library to do research to see what other religions thought about this. All of them that I found believed Abaddon to be a Satanic force. I LEFT JW's because of this issue and because of the false teaching regarding Job's kids and birthdays.

The implications of the Abaddon thing were just too much for me to be able to continue telling others that they should join the org and for me to continue serving these 'locusts'.

• indireneed
    indireneed

It would surprise me if they ever referred to Christ being an angel as anybody other than Michael. It would also surprise me if they recast Michael as an 'antichrist'. Perhaps they did it symbolically?

I say this because Michael's 'christship' was a major tenet of Russell's original 'theology' that he borrowed from others. I'm not sure if anyone else spoke of this first or if it was Russell who came up with this idea.

• siegswife
    siegswife

They claimed that Jesus is Abaddon because Abaddon was given the 'key of the pit of the abyss' and that Jesus has that key. They said that the message of the kingdom is what the locusts use to 'torment' those who refuse to submit to Christ's rulership.

My thoughts on this are that 'destruction' by it's nature has the key to the pit of 'destruction' and that the message that Christ's followers have is not one that 'torments' people but is 'good news'. It also states in revelation 9 that the 'locusts' are told not to harm 'those sealed by God'. How can they claim to be 'those sealed by God' AND the 'locusts'?

Locusts are very destructive, the opposite of the message of salvation. I think that the WTS in its eagerness to have all things refer to them, and in their desire for 'revenge' against those who oppose them, really jumped ship on this one. It's no wonder they erased it/revised it in recent times. Just more double think, double talk. And more rewriting of history ala 'big brother' and 1984.

• siegswife
    siegswife

One more thought on this and an important one...Salvation (Christ) has authority OVER destruction (Abaddon). They are not equal or the same. His death and resurrection was for the purpose of gaining this authority.

• Will Power
    Will Power

in 1969 they first started speaking of Jesus Christ as the Abaddon or the Destroyer in revelation who comes out of the abyss.
    The definition of the "abaddon, destroyer, king of the abyss, (king of death) is again officially in the Aid to Bible Understanding produced in 1971, page 11
    Before this time in the "Finished Mystery" book put out by Rutherford the Abaddon referred to Satan.

I believe whoever fell away from rutherfords teachings would be considered an apostate, or is it whoever believed anything other what is NOW the definition of the King of the Abyss is the apostate?

God's mouthpiece certainly is confusing.
    Strong's concordance definition of Jah - ovah -
    God of Mischief.

OHoh, Now what is one to do?

P.S. - sideline
    didn't Christ give Peter the keys to hades?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit