Did the sun stand still and go backwards up the steps?

by TJ - iAmCleared2Land 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Been a while since I posted here, but driving into work the other day I recalled how "excited" we all were when it was announced that scientists had discovered "proof" that there is a full "day" missing astronomically, for the exact period of time covered by Joshua's having the sun stand still, and Isaiah having the sun move backwards, sending the shadow back up the steps for Hezekiah.

That got me searching JWD for a thread about this topic, and I didn't find one, but I did find this Snopes article.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.asp

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Good find. :)

There was a thread recently on the Joshua story (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/180476/1/Joshua-asked-God-to-let-the-Sun-stand-still-and-he-did-it-How-Why) but I don't think this famous hoax was mentioned.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Ah, thank you for that link! I didn't find that with a "Search" for "sun stand still". Good thread!

• JWoods
    JWoods

One thing that is SO PATHETIC about this is that only a body of people who are COMPLETELY and HOPELESSLY IGNORANT of any kind of physics, math, astronomy, or even plain good sense could ever believe such hogwash - let alone vette it for publishment in the Awake.

I can only imagine the sheer horror of whoever in NASA got assigned to debunking questions over this stupid myth.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If Jehovah`s Witness`s can find a Missing Day..

How come they can`t find Missing Socks..

On Laundry Day?

..............................OUTLAW

• TD
    TD

I've never understood why anybody would think that running an astronomical simulation backwards from the present would reveal a descrepancy.

It would tell you where the earth should have been at any given point in the past, but it won't tell you if that was the realilty or not.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Heh heh, I remember my parents telling me this story back when I was a witness (which I promptly questioned). When I told my parents I was no longer interested in the bible, my mom brought it up with "So if science is so smart and the bible isn't real, how do you explain the missing day scientists found?"

Facepalm

- Lime

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

From Snopes

Missing day legend emerged and made

popular via a book written by

"Harry Rimmer"

Heh, Heh, Heh

Hairy Rimmer

Yup

That's where it's pulled out from!!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I met up with an old friend who had not been to meetings for over a year and he was telling me he wasn't sure what to believe. This guy was working in accounting, and had studied computer science at university. He brought this up - how running the calculations backwards revealed a missing day. I just laughed out loud at him (at the time I thought I was laughing WITH him. I thought he must be joking). He took great offence at my making fun of him, and I quickly tried to cover it over and explain I was laughing at the obsurdity of the idea, and not him. Poor sap. Even though I did make him see this was one of the many lies he needed to see past, he's ended up back in the borg, and has even ratted me out about my evil "independent thinking".

• ssn587
    ssn587

The sun stood still or went backwards only in mythology or disneyland your choice!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit