Impressions from my first KH meeting

by bohm 25 Replies latest jw friends

• linp24
    linp24

Question to WT Wizard: "They are trained to look and act sincerely interested in you." -----Like Bohm I am an 'outsider' and am endlessly astounded by things I read on this forum. Are there actually classes or training sessions for jw folks to learn to act "sincerely interested in you." If this behavior is fake, do the persons engaging in this fake love bombing realize their behavior is cynical?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    I often found myself wondering why catholics believe in the trinity in the first place, and how they understand the scriptures that he cited.

This explains it in detail and illustrates the profound weaknesses in the JWs' position.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index.html

http://www.144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-5.html#20

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The meetings at Kingdumb Hall are to JWs' a fantasy they think it is about worship ,but in reality it's a sales meeting of extra ordinary effectiveness.

What you experienced was nothing more than product familiarisation and the bonding of corporate associates. Book and magazine sales result in more profit for the company. Once the rank and file are familiar with the product and learn how to overcome objections to their sales pitch they are told to go out , sell and recruit as though your life depends upon it, which of course they think it does. The meeting hall is a corporate satellite with all profits going directly back to HQ. where the chief executives reside with no sweat and no worries.

• Open mind
    Open mind

I think the cynicism sets in when you begin to see the WT for what it is.

IMO, love bombing by true-believing JWs is, for the most part sincere, effective & (as WT Wizard mentioned) short-lived.

New faces are so rare that JWs are truly happy to see a new individual take their first steps on "The Road to Life" (tm). Once the new person gets baptized, the newness begins to wear off.

Having said that, there are reminders at least once or twice a year to make sure to "welcome" new ones, even if you are a shy person. Also, to "widen out" in who you associate with to include fellow members who rub you the wrong way.

You can't get large numbers of people to effectively fake sincerity. It's better to hard-wire it into the belief system.

om

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

There are many who make it their job to welcome the new ones. Sometimes with a hug. That is really somewhat over the top but I have seen them do it. It is really pretty easy to spot the new ones if you are a regular attendee. Look out for the overly friendly. Just a warning.

Kit

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well written and astutely observed ....

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Nicely written...

I always laugh when I think back about what my non-JW wife said when she went to a Memorial with me (the first and last time!)

"I have been to tax seminars that were more joyous and interesting!"

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Thanks for that acid-trip flashback to Hell... ;-)

• choosing life
    choosing life

That was interesting to read your observations as an outsider. It reminded me a lot of my first meeting on a Sunday. I was in college at the time. I had been given the watchtower ahead of the meeting and read it before I came.

I could not believe either that they actually read the paragraphs aloud. Then they recited most answers out of the magazine. I found it mind numbing. After the first meeting, I made sure I had to be at work early and only attended the public talks. They were a little more interesting because I had not already read them.

Be careful, though, because the love bombing is much more effective than you realize. They may be sincerely friendly, but it is always with the objective to make you another drone like them.

The public talks are issued straight from the society and are recycled, as you say. Sometimes you want to just scream when you hear the same talk for the tenth time and could easily get up and recite it for yourself.

Good luck with your girlfriend.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bohm, If you haven't already, read Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz and try to encourage your girlfriend too do so as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit