Swedish government declines to give JW financial support

by InquiryMan 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• besty
    besty

hi QL - thats why I think a clearly defined and transparent public benefit test should be applied to all 'so called' charities.

The financial crisis is very bad news for charities - their assets are worth less, members donate less and cash stricken governments will turn their rapacious gaze to their tax-free status - expect public benefit to become a big issue:

"WTF good are you specifically doing to deserve tax-payer support?"

Why state bodies are still involved in actually distributing taxpayer money (as opposed to tax-exempt status) is beyond me.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

besty

thats why I think a clearly defined and transparent public benefit test should be applied to all 'so called' charities.

I'm not sure that a public benefit test could be more clearly defined and transparent than it is without getting into political hot water. And governments also have to adhere to democratic values themselves or at least to be able to defend their own democratic values by allowing it its broad spectrum of applicability.

But I hope the Swedish government is strongly influenced in its decision to deny JWs financial support, by how JWs deal with people who hold differing opinions within their fold.

The financial crisis is very bad news for charities - their assets are worth less, members donate less and cash stricken governments will turn their rapacious gaze to their tax-free status - expect public benefit to become a big issue:

well over here lots of paid charity staff have lost their jobs or have seen their hours and wages reduced.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

If the Swedish government can allocate funds to Muslims to support their fine works of cutting people's heads off and blowing up buildings then I think returning a small percentage of Witness's tax dollars to the organization is probably OK.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I bet an awful lot of JWs who were only in the trades and uneducated are relying heavily on the American government right now..that one they WONT salute and WONT say the pledge to and decry as under Satans Rule...yeah THAT government.

• besty
    besty

lots of interesting info here on public benefit for religious charities in the UK:

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/publicbenefit/default.asp

It seems that benefits solely received by members and proselytizing primarily to gain new adherents are not evidence of public benefit.

The WTS will have to work harder on proving public benefit in the UK. Good.

Why state bodies are still involved in actually distributing taxpayer money (as opposed to tax-exempt status) is beyond me.

These statements were in the context of so called religious charities either having tax-exempt status, or receiving government handouts. I didn't intend to include the work of more transparently beneficial charities, many of which are religious.

• Scully
    Scully

If the law in Sweden requires a certain standard for a "belief community" to receive this financial benefit, such as no evidence of coercive measures (threat of DFing or being DAd, requirement that all members adhere to human rights standards, etc) and the JWs don't measure up, then they need to make changes that satisfy the standards if they want to qualify for the financial benefit.

• fresia
    fresia

there not suppose to treated as other religions, they are suppose to be persecuted for the sake of the truth. Why do they want it both ways.

no doubt they are upset about the money.

they are bludgers, why don't they just help the brothers out themselves after all they have the heaps of money all donated by brothers like those ins sweden.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit