Camping for conventions

by EmptyInside 20 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Outlaw's post about convention food reminded me of my family's experiences camping for the conventions. Fortunately, they did this before I came along. But, it seems the whole congregation stayed at one campground. And they seemed to have a lot of fun. But, it was a lot of extra work for the sisters. Just curious if anyone's else's family was too cheap to stay in a hotel and decided to rough it. I can't imagine trying to get dressed up for the convention in a tent.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My family did when I was younger...It was horrible!! Plus we did it with me, my sis, and 2 toddlers.

Trying to take a shower was awful! I shudder when I think of those days!

EEwwwwwww!!

• shamus100
    shamus100

AAAACK!

My god, are you in counselling still?

Sounds horrifying.

• lancelink
    lancelink

One year we went to the Billings Montana assembly (late 70's) and stayed in a tent in the livestock area

Showers were taken in the area where the livestock was hosed down.

I look back and just shudder at the experience .

• shamus100
    shamus100

Showers were taken in the area where the livestock was hosed down.

I"m speechless....

• beksbks
    beksbks

Dayum, and I thought my family was poor

• lancelink
    lancelink

Back then i just accepted it, we could have stayed at a hotel but this was an "encouraging experience" made us more appreciative

of what we had at home. There were a whole bunch of witnesses staying in the livestock area then, and the funny thing is that

it seemed normal for all of them

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bangalore

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I never had to do that, but when I was little, the 4 day assemblies were still around. I know it's nothing compared to the 7 day ones that used to be around. But as a 5yr old, the 4 day ones killed me..lol

• fokyc
    fokyc

Yes we did it, 1963 for 8 days at Twickenham - 6 of us in a frame tent near Staines beside a reservoir.

The toilets were disgusting, the smell

The food at Twickenham Stadium was pretty good, bacon rolls and lovely hot, jam doughnuts.

The talks were so boring though

I think we managed to look fairly presentable, there were no complaints from the management!

fokyc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit