Do Jehovah’s Witnesses shoot their own wounded?

by paul from cleveland 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I was disfellowshipped when I was going through my first bipolar episode. Several months before being disfellowshipped, I started to develop the symptoms of bipolar disorder: rapid thoughts, sleepless nights, etc., until I finally started having delusions. I began to think I was Jesus (literally) so I was disfellowshipped for apostasy. The elders just didn't recognize the the symptoms since they had no experience with it. Several weeks later I landed in the County mental hospital (no insurance, no support system). After two weeks there, I was stabilized but had lost my friends and family at a time when I needed them most. This was back in 1995.

When I “came to” I wasn’t bitter but in a state of disbelief. How can this happen? Where is the Good Samaritan? The only ones that helped me were some Catholic acquaintances. How can this be God’s organization if the most vulnerable members are treated this way?

I really don’t have a problem with Jehovah’s Witnesses doctrinally but I haven't gone back. I'm still not bitter. It’s simply that ‘everything looks good on paper’, but just doesn’t always work in real life.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

(btw, this experience taught me the real lesson of the Good Samaritan: God doesn't care what religion you are as long as you treat others kindly.)

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Do Jehovah’s Witnesses shoot their own wounded?

Ha, they would never be so merciful.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That's right, shooting is too merciful. They must first drag you through the $hit, sand, water, earth and through the fire to kill your spirit. Then they shoot you.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That experience alone would have told me that they are not worthy of my worship. That's right, T H E Y. The WTS is made up of men who don't care about the sheep, as you found out.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

My friend's mother was bipolar. She was disfellowshipped regularly (I don't know the particulars, but it was due to her condition) until they decided she just wouldn't be allowed to get reinstated anymore.

It’s simply that ‘everything looks good on paper’, but just doesn’t always work in real life.

This realization is what prompted me to leave. If the JWs lived up to the "spiritual paradise" hype they might be worth staying with even if they got the doctrines wrong. But without "love among themselves" they have absolutely nothing to offer.

• shamus100
    shamus100

In the eyes of a dubber you are worse than shit.

I'm sorry that you had this happen to you. It's awful how they treat the so called "lost sheep". I hope that your bipolar disorder is under control these days.

Take care.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I've never heard of a similar blunder, but it is typical that right when they need help the most, the victim of the WTS is abandoned to apostasy or other WT-defined sins.

Thanks for opening up and sharing.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Paul, I think these examples of brotherly love are too common to be the exception. There is something rotten at the core of it. I wouldn't urge you to be "bitter", but know that it's they who are screwed up.

• yknot
    yknot

In my experience much is ado to appearances.

When illnesses go beyond the physical and appear to bring 'reproach' they scatter fast.

Also consider that the WTS has a distrusting past (often associating demon possession) with fields of medical, pharmacological, and mental health.

While many JWs will publically decry such things, the traces of this distrust linger deeply. Just this week an older Brother refused a tetanus shot. While majority of older Sisters are on 'happy meds' it is not publically acknowledged. Couples seeking marital counseling (or any mental health counseling for that matter) are discouraged from discussing this course of action sometimes directly from Elders other times by the coersion of knowing that all improvements should be related to meeting attendance and FS if someone doesn't want to be looked upon as 'weak'

Hmmm I just said "looked upon as weak".............sorry mid-thought 'aha' moment....... yes I guess in that sense many JWs do believe in shooting their wounded. In their defense, they aren't given any other suggestions by the Organization if the Elders aren't able to handle these 'weakest links'.

I am curious if you don't mind sharing, how did your family and JC Elders respond to you after having been diagnosed?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How is the hunt for answers coming along with the 5 questions? What do you think of the abundance of PDFs of older publications available on the internet?

• journey-on
    journey-on

I feel sorry for you AND for the elders. They just don't have the training, the education, nor the tools to be equipped for handling mental illness. I'm glad you're not bitter. You sound like a good person that just has a treatable condition. Too bad most JWs don't have the knowledge they need to deal with these issues. Stay strong, on your meds, and healthy. I'm glad you're not bitter. Bitterness is a cancer that eats away at the soul.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit