...Good Food at Assemblys.....What Happened?..

by OUTLAW 44 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes the food was excellent in the early days. But listen Kids.
    I heard the food was GREAT at Jonestown too!!!
    Until they were served the COOLAID!!!
    Thank God you didnt get that served up..
    You escaped before it will be served.
    How else will they bury their mistakes??

Only by killing them ,,,all that follow them

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

That is one of the few worthwhile things of the WT- the food. They had great roast beef sandwiches, danish, coffee...ice cream...

Anyone here go to Monroe Assembly Hall in NY?

• sir82
    sir82

What Farkel said, plus....

I suspect it became a liability concern/fear. I used to work the food stands at every DC, 20+ years. Toward the end, I saw for the first time concerned-looking and very serious "brothers" with hand-held thermometers running around between food stands, checking the temperatures of piles of sandwiches, frowning, and sometimes hauling them away.

I think they got scared that, while a JW sickened by contaminated food would never sue them, someone's "Bible study" or "unbelieving mate" would have no such qualms about bringing a lawsuit. I further suspect the lack of a restaurant license in such a case would not bode well for the Society.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I do not recall that the food in the U K was "great"...in fact we used to grumble about it..But when they took it away, we grumbled even more. I wrote a letter to the Bethel once and told them it was inhospitable to invite people there all day and not provide anything. You can guess what reply I got.

BTW it was not only the youngsters who used the food service as an "opt out" of the programme. You would never see the Food Overseers or their cronies in their seats. They were always busy in the Kitchens or the dining halls or having a laugh together

The reason to get rid of it, we were told, was new European Common Market directives on the storage and presentation of food for sale. They said it made it impossible to continue doing what we did. I have not seen anybody else give up, though...Mind you, Sir82's above post might be relevant

• Lemon_Lime_Shasta
    Lemon_Lime_Shasta

Ah...shasta cola, I can almost feel my teeth rotting away...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit