...Good Food at Assemblys.....What Happened?..

by OUTLAW 44 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In a time before many of you were born..

Assemblys had a Great Food..

I left before the Food started getting Bad..

I am totally amazed at reading..

How food at Assemblys got worse and worse..

Until finally food was`nt served at all..

Back in the day..

Food at Assemblys was Pretty dam good..

There was Quality Cooking back then..

Jehovah`s Witness`s actually looked forward to Meals at Assemblys..

Breakfast..Lunch..Dinner..Snacks..

The Food was Awesome..The price was affordable..

A person would be Crazy to eat any place but the Assembly back then..

WHAT HAPPENED?

.................................OUTLAW

• Farkel
    Farkel

Outlaw,

Food provided at assemblies started disappearing right after the Jimmy Swagart case when the WTS knew they would have to start charging and paying taxes on the food they served at assemblies. They knew damn well, that if they offered it on a donation basis to dubbies, that out of the 50,000 people in attendance at a large assembly they would take only in a total donation of approximately $2.19 from cheap-bastard attendees each time they offered a meal. They would only net $6.57 per day TOTAL!

So they just quit doing it. This is another "simplification" arrangement lovingly made by Jehovah for his people. And it is a "simplification": the WTS would no longer made a huge profit on the food. That's pretty "simple", isn't it?

Farkel

• chicken little
    chicken little

The whole thing took so much time and so many were missing out on the important spiritual food that it was done away with. (I loved the soup on the last day at around nine on the evening). We worked for days preparing the cakes at the bakery owned by a brother, then we had to finish them off at the convention site...we had great fun and felt important doing this work. Loved to get up during the talks with my overall over my arm and head out to the food section. It was an escape. Now nobody escapes...except the attendants.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Farkel..

Thanks Bud!..

I was always part of the kitchen crew..

I pretty much grew up in assembly kitchens..

It was a fun place to be for a kid..

I even ran my own consessions..

Too bad it`s all a thing of the past..

It was one of the few things a Dub could look Forward to,at an Assembly..

Good Meals,at a Decent Price..

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Outlaw

Good food? WTF??? lol

I worked some in food service... Made breakfast (the egg muffins were the best of a bad lot) along with the hoagies and Shasta were what I was given.

Oh, and the pudding, which my brother and I always fought over who would get the vanilla..... (thanks mom for taking Solomon too seriously....)

Farkel is as usual, correct. I recall a Circuit elder mentioning that after the food arrangment went bye bye, the elders had to refigure their per publisher accounting to pay for DC and CA's. They missed that margin in food, it evidentally covered up for a lot of shortfalls.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I remember the Hays Bridge Ass'embly hall which was completely rebuilt into a superb facility and proper purpose built professional kitchen and dining hall, to make matters worse the A/H was in the middle of no where, then the London branch simplified the food arrangement and bang the facility was gone! luckily I was gone as well in a couple of years!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Good food? WTF??? lol

I worked some in food service... Made breakfast (the egg muffins were the best of a bad lot) along with the hoagies and Shasta were what I was given.

He's not talking about the "old days", but the "old old days", before hogies and shasta soda. I heard they even served steaks back in the 40s or something.

• dissed
    dissed

Way back in the early '70's the food was good. Is that what OUTLAW was talking about?

Great snacks.

Cantelope cut in half, with a scoop of ice cream. yummy!

Meal times then were portrayed as if, it was like the new order just getting started.

JW's right after Armegeddon, with big food kitchens serving 1000,s (Dodger Stadium) I worked pre-during-and post kitchen. Remember during the prayers, the quiet, except for the steam kettles hissing. cool

Then it was cheap and NOT to make money.

Then it evolved for effiency sake.

Then it became a money maker.

Then they got greedy and the food got worse.

Then they went to a donation basis.

Then the JW's paid what they thought it was worth and quit paying. (see OUTLAWS pile pix)

Then they went out of business and stopped doing it.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

I remember Assembly's at Brantford,Ontario where we would have pasta,subs,salad,cookies,cakes,and hot coffee. They took that away because the town of Brantford made them pull permits for sanitation,food prep,and taxes. They had a meeting after and decided that it wasn't worth it. Then they tried serving coffee and sweets only but they had to pull a permit for the coffee to make sure it was the right temperature.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

ATJ/danielP..

"Good Food WTF????"

LOL!!

I know it sounds strange to younger JW`s..

But..

Thats how it was Back in the Day..

I`m talking full coarse meals,made from scratch..

Speakers were wired into the kitchen,so you could hear the talks..

We would spend the entire day,every day..Preparing awsome meals for everyone..

I loved it..

Just sitting in a chair did`nt appeal to me,when I was a kid full of energy..

The kitchen was the place to be..

.....................OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit