Adobe cs4 indesign

by Georgiegirl 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Really? That's interesting. I have laid out software manuals (300pages+) in Word but bought into the hype that the styles in InDesign would be easier. Plus...since I use the other adobe products, maybe I'm being an Adobe "snob". ;) At any rate, it has to be finished this weekend, so...(sigh) Thanks for your help!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Hey there, Georgiegirl,

A critical concern is that you're using trial software. See if it will even let you print? Usually it will let you create content for screen use but not output actual files.

Or it will, with a dreadful watermark. Useful for learning but not for real-time work, especially under a weekend deadline!

In the meantime, please do check out InDesign's Long document features section on the Adobe website.

Creating book files
    Creating a table of contents
    Creating an index
    Working with markers

(They also include offsite links to a long documents video and a lesson from the "Classroom in a Book" series.)

I would set up an InDesign template with master pages (with headers and footers) and style sheets. I'd use the template to create each chapter as a unique document, then compile them into an InDesign "book file." From there you can generate the TOC by selecting which styles you want tagged for inclusion. This allows you to maintain a high level of control over local pagination as well as overall book assembly.

There are a host of reasons why I would not choose MS Word for this particular project the way you've described it so far... Suffice it to say I've worked as a graphic designer and production manager in print publishing for the last 20 years (including textbooks and medical/technical user manuals), and prior to that as an executive assistant who's all too familiar with MS typing software masquerading as a professional publishing toolbox.

My 2¢ and best regards,

~Sue

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Hey Sue!

Thanks for the input. Yes, I kind of did it a little backwards...first I was given a .wps file (sigh) that was one big long file. I created documents and then imported it into the separate indesign docs and created the Book file. THEN I did the master pages (sigh). What I'm working on now is the indexing. The adobe tutorials are fabulous.

I've worked with Quark and Pagemaker extensively in the past (as well as Word) so I knew I wanted a proper page layout program...plus, this is one in a series of books and this will allow me to keep the same styles through the entire series.

The challenge has been learning a new software on a really time delivery timeframe. I have the 30-day trial and will buy the "real" thing using my student discount at the end of the 30 days.

Do you mind if I PM you if I run into questions?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Go right ahead GG, I'll be checking back 'til about 1:00 or 2:00 AM EST.

As you become more conversant with ID, you're sure to see that it's just the old Aldus PageMaker Adobe-fied, revamped to challenge Quark... and on some major steroids!

It's all good. :–)

~Sue

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Sue - sending you a PM now (monday)

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Hi, just sent a PM. Will be checking back throughout Tuesday to see how it worked out.

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit