Adobe cs4 indesign

by Georgiegirl 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Anyone have it and use it? I would imagine CS3 would be similar. I'm laying out a book for a client and have a question. Just thought on the off-chance...

???

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I have it, and had CS3 before that... I'd say its very similar... I haven't come across anything that CS4 has that CS3 didn't have... then again Im not a graphic designer, just do posters and document layout every once in a while.

By my shallow use of the program, there's doesn't seem to be much difference.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Do you know how to set up headers and footers? I have several documents that I have set up as chapters. I need the headers to change for each chapter...It all bundles up to a book to generate the TOC.

I have CS4 but not indesign - I downloaded the 30-day trial to do this and am only 2 days into it. :)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

CS4 is the designation for the entire Adobe Suite, so it usually includes InDesign, as well.

As far as using different headers... I always did this by creating multiple master pages. When you create a master page you can place unique headers and footers on it, then assign that master page to other pages in your document. So, for example, page 1 has A-Master with no header, page 2-10 has B-master with one header for each page, pages 11-30 has C-Master, and on and on.

So find the Pages tab, right click in the pages field and click on create new master, or something like that. Double click on the master page icon that you created and then fool around with in in the main view. Then, when you create more pages, drag and drop the master page onto the pages for which you want to show the same headers and stuff.

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

There are a couple programs you might be able to use and they are both free to down load.

http://openoffice.org-suite.com/index.asp?aff=101&camp=gg_oo_us&se=google

http://www.gimp.org/

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

YOU ROCK. Thank you!!!

Yeah...I don't know why I didn't get indesign with this bundle. Maybe b/c it's a student edition?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Maybe b/c it's a student edition?

I don't know... it's probably the second-most popular adobe program (besides acrobat), after photoshop. It was all I used for my undergrad days.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Also, if all you're doing is document layout, and you don't have a ton of images, you can do a lot in plain old MS Word, if you know how to use section breaks and whatnot.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Yes, I do have word and could do it that way EXCEPT this is going to be a series of books so I'd rather set it up once, correctly. Then I can just re-use the styles AND be sure of consistency throughout the series. Each one is about 200 pages.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Yes, I do have word and could do it that way EXCEPT this is going to be a series of books so I'd rather set it up once, correctly. Then I can just re-use the styles AND be sure of consistency throughout the series. Each one is about 200 pages.

I don't see how Word wouldn't fit the bill, except of course, InDesign is more precise when it comes to locating a block of text on page or what have you. In either case, reusing templates for any program is not a super cut and dry process. My company routinely writes and reproduces several-hundred page (and thousand-page) documents, and we try to minimize the amount of work that goes into formatting. However, reusing formats and styles never goes 100% smoothly, and requires painstaking edits to get it right.

In my experience, InDesign is no more "reliable" in this respect than Word, believe it or not. InDesign may be slightly more user friendly, but if you know some of the more advanced techniques in Word, it can be a suprisingly sophisticated program.

In any case, I wish you luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit