Not just information to help people leave, but a community on the internet

by OnTheWayOut 15 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

I wanted to leave for 10 years before I discovered and started reading this forum back in '02. Six months later I had an exit strategy, and less than six months after that I was out.

The forum made this possible because until I came here I did not know there were others who felt the same way or that there were JWs who had the same serious doubts and likewise saw the hypocrisy and ideological corruption in the organization. Mostly, I did not know there could be a productive and happy life after the Watchtower. I mean, I had noticed a lot of "wordly" people seemed to be productive and happy, sure, but I had no idea how to cross that bridge.

For me, this place was a light shining in the darkness.

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Jerry, great thread. Like yourself I too have made many friends on this board ( you among them ) and I have found great comfort as well among people of like experiences exiting the JW cult. I was among those you mentioned who exited the witnesses without having read Ray Franz's book or any other non-witness book. But AFTER leaving due to the internet and finding great books on cult mind control, etc. I began to understand how the witnesses were able to dupe me all those years. Fear and guilt.

Now I enjoy experiencing freedom after exiting the witnesses - and I want to help others who exit to have a soft place to land to begin exploring their new life in freedom. So the internet community has brought me support personally and information to continue my education about cult mind control and the quest for freedom. Lots of good people here on this board ! Love ya all

• 2pink
    2pink

i've been having doubts for years, and only recently mustered up the courage to explore those doubts fully.

so, i've been all over the place online, but this place is saved as one of my "favorites". i love not only the hard, cold facts i can get here, but also the warm, welcoming atmosphere that prevails. my hours spent in reading the bible (not the NWT!) and spent reading on forums such as this one have only solidified my decision.

i'm honestly not sure how i'd have fared as one who was trying to leave the JWs back when there was no one else to talk to...:(

• nelly136
    nelly136

my leaving and staying out was my own doing long before i got internet and i can say i would never have gone back with or without it, but it has given me the opportunity to meet some really cool/diverse people from uk and abroad that i would never have had the pleasure of meeting under any other conceivable circumstance. so to the internet and those lovely people .

• deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

The malicious acts toward us by the Watchtower’s CO and elders, induced my husband at first to ask: WHO ARE THESE GUYS? Is this my mother or what?

He explained to me his discoveries on the internet which I could’ not believe…after almost 50 years in the org, it is hard to accept.

Our way out from the Watchtower has been determined by three factors:

• Discoveries on internet about the real face of the Watchtower
    • The (2) books of Ray Franz
    • Forums of ex JW , were I was so surprised to found that so many persons who felt the same….

Forums have been really helpful for me, for the first time in my life I could write and explain my feelings, criticize, and explain reasons, feeling to be of some help to others. I translated the ‘Barbara discoveries’ experience in my language. Lots of ex JW read it, and when travelling with Barbara, one ex JW told me that reading Barbara’s experience (in his own language) was ‘enlighten’ to him, after reading, he decided to dissociate, and with him 10 others in the congregation.

ONTHEWAYOUT: Very interesting thread!

Very nice thoughts FLIPPER: I want to help others who exit to have a soft place to land to begin exploring their new life in freedom.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I toyed with leaving the organisation almost 2yrs ago, but didn't because I had nowhere to go (as in others going through the same), and was too chicken to look into 'apostate' sites. By accident I came across this site back in May I think? I joined without reading anything on here. I didn't come back til about 2 or so weeks ago. Not sure what prompted me to see if my membership had been accepted after not coming back to the site in 4 or 5mths, but I'm glad I did. I feel amongst friends, even though we're countries apart. The last 2wks I've done lots of reading on here, and gained perspectives about things I'd always questioned. In fact, I look forward to logging on here every night :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit