Newly fading and having morbid thoughts about dying....is that normal?!

by 2pink 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

To leave that weird little sect, at some level you're going to believe you are leaving god, angering god, etc. And that sect teaches you an unhappy god is one that will kill you.

I think it is natural to think about death after leaving. I know I did. Not killing myself, but when I left I thought I was screwed. Dead man walking and all that. Part of me still does, 20 years later.

Call it an emotional scar, inflicted by the experience.

Leaving and getting your head right takes time.

And as far as death is concerned that is your own journey of discovery. We're all going to find out the answer one day. Until then you now can form your own beliefs.

• readyornot
    readyornot

I recently visited an elderly sister in my mother's hall. I was never baptized so still see a few active JWs. She is in her early 80's, her husband died 3 years ago and you can see that she is still trying deeply hurting over the fact he is gone. She wan't prepared for it, because he wasn't supposed to die. Paradise hope or not, the pain of loosing someone that close to you is going to be felt.

JWs are denied the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the aspect of death. As Jeff mentioned, I really want my kids to understand that there is a circle to life. Death is inevitable, and will happen to us all, good or bad.

An ex-jw friend I recently reconnected with recommended this book to me. Talking to Heaven by James Van Praagh. It deals with the idea of life after death. Mentally, I am not ready to wrap my head around this concept but he swears by it. Told me after reading it, you'll never fear death again.

• I discovered
    I discovered

2 pink

I agree with Big Tex.That it is natural to think about death after leaving.

Everyone processes the thought of death in their own way and time.

I am still forming my own beliefs and like the freedom I now have to do so.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If your Dead..

How do you know your Dead?

...........................OUTLAW

• I discovered
    I discovered

Out Law

After leave the Borg silly.

• I discovered
    I discovered

2 pink

After leaving the Borg you will have time to think more clearly about what you choose to believe about death and

everything else the jws are teaching you now and in the past.

Hang in there.

• Damocles
    Damocles

2Pink,

i mean, people who were never JW don't walk around all day thinking that death could be around the next corner....they just live. how do i get to that stage?!

My, my, that's a tough subject and counseling is in order as others have suggested, but be careful, the search for the honest man is easier than the search for a competent therapist.

This kind of discussion among friends is really best done in a quiet evening with one's choice of libation..the internet is a poor substitute.. but for what its worth.

No one in my family is a JW and there is every variant in the world in my family in the view of death. One relative was a devout catholic, 94 years old and held onto life for all she was worth, kicking and screaming till she went. Another was Methodist, died early and asked us all to throw a huge party because she was going to her reward. My grandfather ignored the issue and I have never seen such fear in a man as he faced death - even though he was a pretty tough guy or at least he scared the shit out of me as I grew up.

Point is, your assumption that folks just live with the idea of death... well let's just say its not quite that simple.

I have observed that one point of the mid-life crisis is to come to grips with our own mortality - and we each do it in our own way. My wife ignores it. Having thought about it she would prefer to not think about it. For myself, death is not an enemy but a relief. One I'm not quite ready for but nearly.

General Ulysses S Grant died of throat cancer. Having squandered all his accumulated resources and leaving his family destitute he wrote his memoirs and with herculean discipline kept at it till he was done so that the proceeds would keep his family.

On his deathbed, his boyhood friend visited him and reminisced about the time the friend saved Grant's life as a youngster. The friend recounted all that Grant had done in his life - Mexican American War, Civil War, Presidency - and said 'well its been quite a life that would not have been had I not saved you (drowning if memory serves).'

Grant thought about it, looked pensive, and said, " Yes, it has been quite a life...but you know, once is enough"

That's my thought, its been great...but not that great...and once is enough.

Regards

Damocles

BTW Grant's memoirs is one of the great pieces of American writing. I recommend it even if it is a tough go.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I can relate to your experience. I have a little girl and the thought of my dying terrified me. I was never a Jehovah's Witness but I did get to know and eventually marry one (my wife). Before I met her, I was confident in my salvation that I had little fear of dying and seldom gave it a thought. Guess you can say that I had 'the victory' in Christ Jesus. Then came the 'indoctrination' and all of a sudden, I truly believed I was going to die. Jehovah's Witnesses have a very morbid view of things, work work work to obtain your salvation. Cannot trust that Jesus's sacrifice alone is sufficient.

"Faith without works is dead." That was the mantra my wife would use back when I tried to explain to her my views. Eventually it started to sink in and by early summer 2009 I was genuinely scared, so scared that I became depressed. I went to see a counselor but that went nowhere as she could not be of much help in terms of religion (I understood and thanked her for hearing me out). I started researching the Bible, researching my beliefs, and comparing them to the Watchtower's beliefs. I prayed, read the Bible, checked out various Internet sites about Christianity and about Jehovah's Witnesses and I found Christ.

My rededication to Christ is still fairly 'young' and sometimes the Watchtower dogma still confuses me, but I keep praying and learning and I find myself 'gaining the victory' again.

I don't know what you're planning to do at this point, hopefully you won't abandon God. I suggest you take a look at this web page as it illustrates the difference between a religion and a relationship with God.

http://www.4jehovah.org/help-jw-why-religion.php

• Quandry
    Quandry

When my husband and I decided we were through with the WTS, one thought got to me.....I...will...die...like everyone else. It does take a bit to sink in. Yes, the thought can be consuming because we were SO sure we wouldn't have to.

Give it a bit of time, until the newness of the thought wears off. I think you'll calm down. I know I have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit