I went to my 1st JW 'gathering' in 3 years

by jambon1 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

The negative outlook of the jehovahs witnesses made me leave the religion. I was a young man (you can read my previous experiences) who was consumed by negativity. It made me want to kill myself at one point.

I went to a gathering with my wife recently & I have to say that they are just as negative as I was, but worse.

Consumed with depressing tales of misery, depression & general pessimism.

In no way would I be attracted to those people. In no way would I want to be a part of their negative mindset.

It took me 5 years to leave all of that behind. Nothing has changed.

It makes me sad to think that so many people wasted their lives in that religion.

Life is good. You gotta live it!

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

your brave going....welldone :))

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's good to get impressions from you, after 5 yrs out. Thanks for writing about it.

S

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

Anything specific they said to you that was so negotive, or was it just a feeling you got when you were around them?

• Honesty
    Honesty

JW's have to be full of pessimism and negativity.

That's the only way their Watchtower induced delusions can be fed.

• Honesty
    Honesty

• Honesty
    Honesty

• penny2
    penny2

I don't think there are many new ones coming in - except for kids of JWs.

A brief look at the "Keep Yourselves in God's Love" book should send out alarm bells to any half-thinking person.

It's good to be out!

• under_believer
    under_believer

Honesty got it right. Everyone knows that 90% of public talks follow the same tired formula: spend the first 2/3rds talking about how bad things are in the world, citing lots of statistics and figures. How much divorce there is; how many kids starve to death; how global warming will kill all of the kittenz. Then spend the last 1/3rd talking about how God's Kingdom (already present in the form of his Earthly Organization and the Faithful and Discreet Slave) will fix everything. Extend an invitation to study to the general public. Sing song number 201.

Witnesses get this same doom and gloom message day in and day out from every quarter.

And it's easy for them to believe, too, because most Witnesses are poor or unemployed, or mentally ill, and have to struggle to survive on a daily basis.

• undercover
    undercover
    Witnesses get this same doom and gloom message day in and day out from every quarter.

Yea, when you're expecting the world to end any day now and 99.9% of all population is wicked and doomed for destruction and you're not sure if you're good enough to be in the .01% you can't help but be pessimistic and depressed.

But at the same time, these people put on a happy face that appears, at first glance, to be genuine happiness. I can see where people who might be even more screwed up than JWs might see a 'happified' people gathering in Jah's name. But spend any time with them and the true unhappiness starts to show. I think it's a slow process of being sucked into the JW world that you never realize how they really aren't as happy as you originally thought. And for us born-ins, we never knew anything else. We grew up thinking that everything we saw and experienced was as good as it could get. We had no other frame of reference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit