I'm Still Torn About the Blood Issue

by palmtree67 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I have mixed feelings about blood transfusions. Although I'm not attending meetings anymore, I feel that God's command has, somehow, saved quite many JW lifes, if only when people would, 30 years ago, get HIV infected blood and JWs were protected by their religious stand. Also, and this is not religious, blood trade is scandalous, since the raw product is procured for free from well intentioned people or bought cheap from the poor, and sold at high price, even when the sellers know full well that it is infected. A political scandal ravaged France about 20 years ago for this reason.

Now, one has to admit that the current stand of the WTS on this subject, that is accepting fractions, has little to do with religious integrity and more with legal, and therefore financial, interests.

In conclusion, I don't know.

• glenster
    glenster

What I have on it is on pp.11 to 42 at the next link.
    http://gtw6437.tripod.com/index.html

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Aligot- Yes, those are things that worry me, too. It seems there is soooo much to consider.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Scully said:

"...in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, a thing that I had not commanded and that had not come up into my heart." ~ Jeremiah 7:29-31

This made me realize that God was not interested in human sacrifice - it was something that had not come up into his heart - and for those people who practiced human sacrifice, there was but a single outcome: they would suffer God's fury and rejection. It made me realize that the WTS was as far removed from God as possible, by way of this one practice of requiring followers to sacrifice themselves, their spouses, and their children for lack of blood transfusions.

Scully this is brilliant, thank you.

Lovely Palm, it is odd how difficult it is to clear away the knee-jerk reactions we have to the blood issue... but then again, think about it: We had adjusted our mindset to stick to that conviction even unto DEATH. We were prepared to die for it! There was no reasoning, we weren't allowed to think about it! Being prepared to literally DIE for an imposed conviction (read: dogma) is huge. Such things take time and gentle unraveling.

I remember in my childhood, a visiting elder who was staying in our house was expounding upon a person he knew who was disfellowshipped, but still refused blood. He seemed truly baffled by it, that someone would stick to one teaching (ironically and terrifyingly, the one that could cause death) but had otherwise forsaken the "(T)ruth". This concept stuck with me all these years. I can still see the look on his face as he contemplated this. I wonder what became of him... and of the person in his story.

Frankly, I am leary of hospitals, period... but if I needed one, I would be there (funny, since I was in one just a few weeks ago!)

As someone else already stated... approach the idea of a transfusion as you would with any other medical directive: With educated caution. I know that you are incredibly aware of other medical procedures and alternative methods already. Education and prudence, with all things... especially one's health and life!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Oh, Baba Yaga!!

You must be 257 years old.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oh, pshaw... I'm only 251 and not a day older!!!!

• TD
    TD

Aligot,

It's worthy of note that well over 90% of cases where HIV was transmitted by transfusion involved the clotting factors given to hemophiliacs. (My source for this is the book, Blood An Epic History of Medicine and Commerce by Douglas Starr)

These factors are plasma proteins allowed under JW policy for many years. (Since the late 70's) The reason the clotting factors were so dangerous before the full extent of the HIV threat was understood is because it requires donations from thousands of donors for a single injection. Naturally, the more donors that are involved, the greater the likelyhood that one of them may have been infected.

When the JW organization praises the protective power of their teaching in regard to HIV, they are being disingenuous indeed.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Are you a medical doctor? Are you a scientist?

If not, then perhaps you should follow the recommendations of a doctor who has earned your trust.

That's what I do.

I certainly do not carry a card in my wallet that will micromanage what trained medical professionals will do, should I be in need of life-saving care.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Make no mistake about it. The JW religion is 100 percent WRONG ON BLOOD!!!

Read for yourself and see:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/medical/150613/1/WT-SOCIETY-IS-WRONG-ON-BLOOD

Just like they were wrong on Vaccinations and Organ Transplants before.

Just like they were wrong by forbidding Alternative Service before.

Just like they were wrong on all those False Predictions before.

And all THIS: http://www1.tip.nl/~t661020/wtcitaten/part1.htm

The Printed Page tells it like it is.

MANY Pages.

Vinny

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Palmtree,

You have a PM.

-LWT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest