One hundred eleven assemblies

by JimmyPage 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My dad visited recently and somehow we got on the subject of assemblies. He's been in the truth 37 years and figured he'd been to 3 assemblies a year. That meant he had been to 111 assemblies in his life! Then he tells my wife, "So you're just getting started." Boy, what a lot to look forward to! Really made the end seem near.

It got me thinking, too, about how potentially dangerous some assemblies were. I remember going to one in an open air stadium during a killer heat wave (people in the city were literally dying). The assemblies lasted at least four days then and me and my brother were little kids. Seat belt laws were not enforced and sometimes we rode around the big city in the hatchback of the station wagon while my Dad would get frustrated trying to navigate somewhere he'd never been long before GPS was invented. Good times!

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Did I say he's been in the truth? Sorry. Meant cult.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I know it is a habit to say the word truth, you can type like this----> "truth".

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

God, just think of it. One hundred eleven assemblies. That's over two years worth of weekends!

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

It would be interesting to ask your dad out of those 111 assemblies how many he was at and they said the end was

close?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Exactly. Hello!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Then he tells my wife, "So you're just getting started."

Interesting... in light of Amos 5:21.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I guarantee even after 111 assemblies most dubs would still have a hard time finding the book of Amos.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

Amos 5:21 says, "I have hated, I have rejected your festivals, and I shall NOT enjoy the smell of your solemn assemblies."

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Ugh, I just did the math and I went to 129 assemblies. What a colossal waste of time. My mom was always so proud that I never missed one, even the month I was born, even when I had pneumonia, even when I was 3 and it was for 8 excruciating days in July in Atlanta!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit