Teaching Position at a Catholic School

by wifekeepsmeinit 11 Replies latest jw friends

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

Im looking to get a teaching position at a Catholic school, part of the requirements for the

Application is to write an 200 word essay on Why I desire to teach in a Catholic School.

Im almost completely lost as to what to say. I also have to answer 3 other questions,

but I think I can do those on my own. I know this thread kind of outs me, but I dont

really care.

If any of you have any ideas on what to write it would be much appreciated.

thanks

• stillin
    stillin

I wish I had more time for you. I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic schools. You could start by mentioning how you've noticed the emphasis that Catholics put on education, and that you feel that teaching in such an environment would not only benefit the students but also you, because your desire to be a positive influence will require you to keep sharp.

Sorry, meeting night...gotta go dumb down.

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

Thanks Stillin,

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

this is what I have so far.

Truth is paramount; I have a desire to teach in a Catholic school because it will allow me to teach children the whole truth, including Jesus Christ. In a public school, I would have to leave Jesus out of the equation, I cannot consciously do that. To teach as Jesus taught we need to imitate him. Jesus taught at a moments notice taking advantage of any situation to provide knowledge about the Bible. As a catholic teacher I can use the methods Jesus used in order to maximize the instruction.

A solid faith in God, one that is based on the Bible, is a powerful force for good.

We all have gifts and talents and we all have a mission that God entrusted us to do. Many people read about Jesus Christ, people can even learn from him, but if they don’t put what they learn into practice then its all for nothing. So it becomes very important that you act on your faith in all areas of your life. By being an example in the classroom I can have a positive effect on children and In order to build students up in faith for God, you would have to be an example for them.

Nehemiah 2:18 says that they "committed themselves for the common good", a group of people with the same vision who work together for faith in Christ. Jesus Christ is the center of the group of people or community, he directs us in our study, our prayer and gives us nourishment through the words of his Gospel. As a member of the community of Catholic teachers I can best be used by the direction of God. For those reasons, I have a desire to teach in the Catholic School System.

please give me any of your ideas.

thanks

• stillin
    stillin

wifekeepsmeinit, (sounds like a parallel universe...)

For what it's worth, I advise you to go a little lighter on the religious tone of your letter. Sure, references to Christ's patience with His (note:capital "H") apostles and with children are fine, but remember, Catholics are truly "rice Christians." The MESSAGE of the Gospel is in the DOING of the Gospel...the feeding of the multitude, the teaching of the crowds, the healing of the sick. You sound more like a Baptist, sorry about that.

Also, I would compose something not too heavy about discipline. The lack of it in our society...the low bar that is set for goals...yet, the balance needed so as not to stifle creativity and "free thinking."

Catholics colonialised a huge portion of the world by watering down the gospel and adapting to local traditions. Show your own version of "open arms" either racially or by refering to underachievers in large-hearted terms...and mean it.

You can do this. My wife keeps me in, too, but inside, I'm out.

Hope it helps.

Stillin

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Since you've only got 200 words don't cover too much ground poorly. You've still got to cover learning and faith though so:

Make the theme short and sweet like: "Nurturing the Soul and Developing the Mind". Then expand on that by using your nice points on how Christ is a wonderful exemplar for both those goals.

Definitely include the point another poster mentioned: to paraphrase --- that the Catholic Community with its Love in Action is a tangible proof of how the values and principles expounded by "Our Lord" are positives in our world.

Even though I personally think secular humanism can probably be more positive. ;)

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

wifekeepsmeinit

I assume that the job is to teach children the national sylabus for your specific country? Whether you personally hold any religious views, are agnostic, or hold humanistic, atheistic views should have absolutely nothing to do with it!

Religious indoctrination at school be outlawed for what it is - bad, narrow minded views that only confuse or provide the child with a feeling of being better than others. Parents only should teach their children religion if they feel so inclined. Many modern countries adopt this better, informed model.

I'd want any child of mine to have the best secular education possible. I believe that segregating children from an early age on the basis of their parents religion is morally wrong. Not only is it divisive, but it damages the child immensely, and often leads to all sorts of complications later on in life.

Just tell your potential employers about what really matters - your love for knowledge itself, and how good you'd be at imparting it in a truly interesting and exciting way to your pupils. Enthrall them with your boundless enthusiasm. If you don't feel quite up for it at present, re-watch Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society!

Leave religion out of it - unless of course you are to be a teacher of Roman Catholic religious studies?

Good luck with your application, though.

lifelong humanist

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Hopefully you will find a pointer or two in the following article.

http://www.gazette.net/stories/013008/takonew203013_32382.shtml

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The seperate school board has become more truly "catholic" (Universal) than it was in the past, you don't have to cater too much to the ROMAN part of the Roman Catholic religion, that is the job of the local parish.

Be honest in your views and focus on Christian values and how they apply to education, you'll do fine.

I am not a RC and my daughter goes to a RC school here in Brampton, she loves it and the staff and teachers are wonderful, much better than the public one she went to in JK ( She is in grade 1 now and was in the same school for SK).

I've even had a few discussions with the parish priest about catholicisim :)

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Leave religion out of it - unless of course you are to be a teacher of Roman Catholic religious studies?

lifelong humanist

Thats just it...its a Roman Catholic School. Its true that they're not "indoctrinating" students in each and every class. The religion classes were more of an ethics and history class than outright catechism. But even if you're not teaching religion classes, all of the RC boards that I know of here in Ontario usually stipulate that a letter of reference from a Parish Priest be included in your application for any teaching job. When I asked a recruiter about this she said nothing stopped a person without the obvious tie to a parish from applying but that candidate would not have everything they were looking for so their chances were poor.

You're right he should be honest about his values, but he should emphasize the views he shares with catholicism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit