Is the Watchtower "Question and answer" study a form of brainwashing?

by Witness 007 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Ask the question so it SEEMS your having a reasonable debate/discussion. The answers are clearly in the paragraph while people are encouraged to keep their comments short {no personal thoughts} and simple. Scriptures are qouted regardless of how trivial or stupid the ideas are {Husbands and wives should not hug during prayer...stumbling Luke 21 etc etc.}

The Congregation shows its support by commenting, two or three times if your really holy...children are trained to raise their hand.."JEHOVAAAAH!" Elder: "Yes very good Johnny, good answer!"

• JWoods
    JWoods

One thing I always found to be just childish was how they ask the question, get a rote comment or two, and then READ THE PARAGRAPH OUT LOUD.

Almost as if they are telling the audience that their comments might or might not be right, but that the written Watchtower has the last word on the subject.

Pathetic.

• asilentone
    asilentone

yes, it is brainwashing at its finest for the kids! I have started a topic about small children commenting at the meetings, look at page 2 of my topic history, look for the thread about small children commenting.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The only Answers the WBT$ wants from Jehovah`s WItness`s..

Are the Answers,Scripted in WBT$ Literature..

It`s a Brain Dead Exercise,to keep the Brain Dead JW`s..

..BRAIN DEAD JW`S..

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, it is. When i studied w a doctor who came from communist romania, i managed to get him to a meeting. He said that the question and answer method was the same way that the communists did it.

S

• villabolo
    villabolo

It most definitely is a form of brainwashing. The most pernicious aspect of it is not so much the doctrines and other Watchtower ideas that get hammered in to their brains but the pathological organization worship. They are always mentioning Jehovah and the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" in the same breath. Week after month after year it gets to the point where they cannot recognize the distinction between one or the other. No wonder they tell those who are leaving the organization "You're not going to leave Jehovah!".

villabolo

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

"Repitition for emphasis".

Yes, it's brainwashing.

W

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This merely creates the illusion of free discussion. Everyone always agrees with what is in the paragraph, and does not question it when it contradicts something in a past washtowel lesson.

I always found it stupid and sterile when people consistently gave the answers right out of the paragraph, or only slightly paraphrased it. I can find the damn answer out of the paragraph without even being at the Kingdumb Hell, so comments had better do more than repeat the answer or I will get nothing out of the boasting session. And having zero tolerance for dissent is only making things worse for them--even a sound paradigm is going to have errors and misunderstandings in it.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The questions are scripted and the answers are scripted , what else would you call that ?

Thats not called teaching its called brainwashing.

Throw in a bit of fear to lock down and sustain the ignorance and you have yourself a mind controlling religious cult.

• stillin
    stillin

what gets me is that some who are known to always include personal accounts, or something thought-provoking, are avoided, unless nobody else has their hand up. Then it's,like, hold your breath...could be trouble..

I actually wanted to comment tonight on the subject of honorable courtship being something that you don't get a second chance on, but my comments are regarded as somewhat shocking, which suits me fine.

You-all can accuse me of hypocricy if you want. I actually do consider some of the stuff as worth my while.

Anyhow, yes, the q&a stuff is really dumb. I have told various conductors that I've ALREADY READ the material over, and got more out of it than the "review." Can't they do any better than to just read it again? I asked" do you think that a conductor of a symphony might be humming the melody while encouraging artistic subtleties from the musicians?" All I get is blank stares...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit